Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

90 won't start just clicks!

jimmers

Corvette
1990 Red Coupe 6 speed
To get right to the point, my car won't start. All the starter does is click a few times. I took the starter out to get tested and it's fine. I have 12 volts at my starter and battery. I tried another battery and starter for the heck of it but nothing. I don't have any codes and all fuses are good. I also sanded my battery cables to make sure they have good contact.
I was reading through previous threads and found out that clicking in the passengers side dash is caused from a relay that drops out and kicks in at low battery voltage. Does anyone know what that means exactly?

Is there anyway to run a cable from the battery to the starter and see if the car turns over instead of clicking? Or bypass the relays? I suspect I have a major electrical problem!​

I thought the relay could be bad but I tried another one and same thing. At first I thought I had a short of ground, but then wouldn't my battery drain overnight? My battery is still fully charged.

One thing you might check is to turn the headlights on, then turn the key. If you hear the clicking and the headlights don't dim it is probably the starter solenoid. If the headlights dim the starer solenoid is working properly. Good luck.

Mike

One thing you might check is to turn the headlights on, then turn the key. If you hear the clicking and the headlights don't dim it is probably the starter solenoid. If the headlights dim the starer solenoid is working properly. Good luck.

Mike

Tried that and my lights dim.

Go to Kragen and buy a remote starter. It hooks up to your battery and to your starter and has a push button to engage the starter. If it doesn't turn over its the battery or starter. If it has 12 volts it is the starter.

I went through this after my car sat.I didnt charge the battery and trying to start it with a low battery caused the solenoid to fry..I took the solenoid apart and sanded the burnt copper contacts and plate..but it is just prolonging the inevitable,it's starting to click every now and then when I try to start it.Problem is..nobody makes a solenoid rebuild kit for the gear reduction starter.you just have to replace the whole starter.

I use to by-pass the solenoid on the starter by just using a long screw driver and touched the 12v post on the starter to a small post on the solenoid. If the ignition key is in the "ON" position the engine would start.

It can't be the neutral safety switch since if it was the cause you wouldn't even get a click.

If yours does the same as mine did with the screw driver trick, I think you need to first replace the relay.

Jake

Think it's your starter - had same prob

I had the same problem in my 88, bought a new battery - waste of money - it was the starter - the first click you hear is the solenoid pulling the gear into mesh, then the high current contacts are supposed to make, turning over the starter - that's not happening - easy fix - new starter or get the contacts refurbed - that's what I did - starts every time!!

hope this helps.
Brad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom