Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'90 ZR-1 ball joints & ride height Q's

Corvette
1990 Bk/Gy ZR-1, #2233
Hi to all the ZRoners,
I was starting to clean up my 90ZR-1 this weekend when I noticed this situation with both upper & lower ball joints on both sides of the front end. The rubber boots on the studs have come off/out of their seats. Or at least that appears to be the case as there was grease all over the apex of the wish bone by the boots. The grease had come out of the base (wide part) of the boots. I could see no tears or cracks in the boots. I'm thinking that the boots were over filled or that they were filled with the joints loaded (suspension not hanging).
My Q's:
1) Ball joints should be replaced?
2) Dismount upper & lower wishbones and re-seat boots so they don't leak?
3) I'm nuts, just grease the joints correctly & wipe up the grease that comes out?
4) The Helm GM Service Manual would have the ride height dimensions?

I didn't do the "pull on the tire" test before removing the tires & wheels to check the soundness of the ball joints. I could not see the grease mess with the wheels mounted. I was on a detail the wheel wells trip. The car has 9400 miles on it if that's important to know? Thanks for all your help! Tom

Tom,

Most people over grease ball joints and it has to come out somewhere..with under 10K miles I would not think they are bad..I would just clean it up and be sure the boots are ok.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I figured I was taught to always hang the suspension prior to putting the grease gun on the zerk and to watch the boot for expansion or put your finger on it to feel it filling. I will put the wheels back on & do the tire pull test. You should have seen the mess it made of the inside of the wheel, yuk! Hey are the back side of factory wheels clearcoated??? Thanks, Tom:D

I have a similar problem with the uppers on my 95 but, the boots didn't "come out" they're torn.

With the boots torn, a lot of dirt is getting in there and I'm sure that, in short order, they will be worn and need to be replaced.

Hi Mr. H, I may have spoke too soon on my boots. I am going to go & look more closely because I saw something besides the grease that I didn't like. It took awhile for it to sink in but I remember restoring the front end on my 72. When it was complete the boots on those joints were not deformed like the ones on my 90 are. I may have to fork the uppers just to see for sure what's going on. Wish I didn't give my 72's shop notes to the new owner. I remember checking the joints with the standard 'pull on the tire' test and if I remember correctly the lower's were marginal and the upper's "tested" okay. When I took the "A"-frames out the uppers were flopping arround like dead fish. My ASE friend was amazed how bad the uppers were & that they didn't give an indication. I gotta call him up & ask if he remembers the theory he had about why the uppers were so bad & the lowers would have passed NYS DMV saftey Inspection. If I recall correctly he thought the lowers should have worn first. I realize the two are very different front ends. Hope his memory is better than mine, it's been 23 yrs.

Well...if they're "flopping around like dead fish" (great analogy, BTW) guess it's time for replacement.
:)

Hi All, I think that the time spent not owning a vette & gettin involved with maintenence in a "hands on" way is showing. I separated the upper ball joints and they are tight, as in no play, and the boots aren't torn. It seems to my inexperienced mechanical abilities that you got to be careful when greasing the joints not to over do it or the grease will come out. Boy do I feel stupid! Thank you all for the info & help.:upthumbs Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom