Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 91 with rough idle, dies when gas applied

T

Tucson91

I've got a low-mileage '91 model - 21,500 miles. I just drove it 1350 miles from KS to Tucson over 2 days. It ran well. I added gas about 90 miles from home. After parking it in the garage for two hours, it restarted, but idled poorly. When I applied gas to it, it stalled. It kept repeating this, but I managed to get back to the garage.

It sat overnight, and ran great the next day - just a short errand of less than 10 miles each way.

The following day, I took it a bit further - probably 40 miles. After stopping at a store for 30 minutes, it reverted back to the poor idle, stall upon acceleration.

I hobbled to a nearby repair shop. They said fuel pressure was fine, and cat convertor was fine. They thought the ohm test was bad on one injector, but that all were low. They recommended changing all 8.

The repair shop disabled injector 5 and I was able to drive the car to a Chevy dealer. They reported one bad injector, suggesting the fuel rails might be corroding, but new ones are unavailable. They recommend either replacing 1 injector and clearing the rails and throttle body, or better yet, replacing all injectors.

This is pretty pricey! I read elsewhere on this forum that GM says not to use injector cleaners on this model (I've never used the stuff). Before I sell a kidney to have one or more injectors replaced, should I ask Chevy to check anything else?

91 coupe, auto, 21.5k miles

Update - I didn't want to hear it, but the other threads on this topic all seem to lead to the need for at least one injector. If one is bad, the others are likely to go, so I'm at least confident that the Chevy dealer AND the local repair shop were both right. Thanks to this forum for helping me feel comfortable with the way-expensive answer!

Last edited:
Welcome onto the boards there...

First, don't approve any work by ANY mechanic, until after THEY SHOW YOU what's bad - not a part, in someone's hand, that they SAY is bad, but a part in the car, with a multimeter in their hand, showing that 'x' part is bad.

Varnish build-up in the injectors' spray pintles is possible, even with low mileage. To test for that, you'd have to pull the fuel rail, with injectors attached, and get the spray pattern checked. Not too tough to test, and FREE.

Get YouTube, user rbanner100 , and check his vids. IF injector work is warranted, go with him...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom