Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

92 6 speed aftermarket shifter ? help

jims92

Corvette
My 6 speed shifter in my 92 vette seams very sloppy, have looked on line for aftermarket replacement like Hurst or B&M but all seem to exclude the 92, all suggestions would be appreciated. Would a 97 c5 fit ?? Thanks, Jim

6th to reverse??? Had mine in the Z for years and never managed that.

The Hurst shifter doesn't have reverse lock out, B&M does...

shifter

Thanks, it seemed like the shifters I looked at said they'd fit C4's excluding 90-92 for some reason. My shifter is so sloppy I can change the radio station with my knuckles. My 92 is Black on Black. thanks again.

Another thought could be to inspect the current stick at the pivot? Maybe rebuild/replace bearings? Just a thought to potentially save a few bucks.

The Hurst shifter doesn't have reverse lock out, B&M does...

Well the B&M sorta has a reverse lock out if you want to call it that. It is nothing more than a spring loaded stud that provides alot of resistance so that you don't hit revrese unexpectedly.

I have the B&M short throw in my '93, have not decided if Ilike it yet. It is really tight and short the throw is.

Bought it new off ebay for $149.00

tcxd40

I put the B&M in my 89 about 5 years ago and like said above it has a spring to keep you from going into reverse but it don't take much pressure to push it over into the reverse gate.

When I first got mine I tried to shift into reverse a few times when speed shifting from 5th to 6th you must yank it straight back with NO side pressure on it or it will try to go into reverse.

If you replace the plastic shims you probably can tighten your shifter up.

My vote for Hurst shifter

Never hit reverse in my 6 speed with the Hurst shifter. Nice tight shifter with a short throw. Reverse stays where it should.
Go for it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom