Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

92 LT1 Making 1 click and not starting!!

ajlsro

My 92 chevy corvette is not starting. I am getting a strong charge on a new battery, turn the key, I hear one click, then nothing...it will eventually start - sometimes after 10 tries, sometimes after 1. Ive heard something about a selonoids, optispark, starter, but haven't figured it out yet.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?? Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Still not working

Got car started again after 4th or 5th try.

Turned the ignition, heard the fuel pump turn on, one loud click and then nothing.......!!!

Drove around the block, gave it some gas and it misfired on acceleration and hesitated. Pulled back into the garage, turned off car, tried to start again and nothing until 6th turn on ignition. I hope this description sounds somewhat familiar to someone. Thanks for any help

Anthony

I think it may have something to do with getting fuel due to the big hesitation on acceleration and the fact that it doesn't turn on.

Sounds like your solenoid is not closing and providing voltage to starter (I've had several cars like this). The solenoid causes a disc to push against the battery lug (at the top of the solenoid) and the starter lug (at the bottom of the solenoid) to bring 12v to the starter. The disc wears or one of the lugs wears and the contact become intermittent. It's easiest to drop the whole starter with the solenoid attached to its top then replace the solenoid and reinstall the starter. Take note if any spacers are installed between the starter and block and put them back as found if there.
Hope this helps.
PS This same sypmtom can result from dirty terminals. You mentioned a new battery so the terminals at the battery are likely OK. Check the other end too. (+12V at the solenoid and the ground - end somewhere on the frame. The ground end is often overlooked.)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom