Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

92 oil leak

gkurtz

Corvette
92 Bright Red Convertable
I just noticed a slight oil leak coming from underneath my 92 vette. It appears to be toward the rear of the engine. Its dripping from crossmember. Is there any particular area I should look at first. The car only has 5k miles.

gkurtz said:
I just noticed a slight oil leak coming from underneath my 92 vette. It appears to be toward the rear of the engine. Its dripping from crossmember. Is there any particular area I should look at first. The car only has 5k miles.
gkurtz, could be a couple of things and most of them minor. Have you had an oil change recently?? Sometimes, some oil will drip when filter is removed and the tech will not clean up well. Could just be some leftover oil. Could also be a loose oil filter. Get under there and give it a twist to tighten. With only 5K on the car, it should not be the oilpan gasket but give it a look. Good luck.

RJ

Intake manifold rear seal comes to mind.
The front and rear seals on the intake are a common oil leak area.
How bad is the leak.

I just got the car a week ago and they did do a oil change. Does the intake manifold need to be removed to replace the gaskets. Ive done other small block chevys with the end gaskets. Is it the same on this 350.

gkurtz said:
I just got the car a week ago and they did do a oil change. Does the intake manifold need to be removed to replace the gaskets. Ive done other small block chevys with the end gaskets. Is it the same on this 350.
The end gaskets on the LT1 are silicon glue/sealant - not gaskets. To reseal the intake, you have to take it off and lay down new sealant. There is a curing period to follow also or it will leak again.

Since you just got the car, get under there and check everything, included the oil filter and drain plug. Then check out the intake and the optispark seals and the water pump weep hole for leaks. Low mileage cars like this are notorious for having bad seals and leaks of all kinds. Watch the water pump closely for leaks - if it starts leaking, the coolant dumps right on the optispark and will short it out. Not trying to be doom and gloom, just trying to point out things to be aware of.

Tuna said:
The end gaskets on the LT1 are silicon glue/sealant - not gaskets. To reseal the intake, you have to take it off and lay down new sealant. There is a curing period to follow also or it will leak again.

Since you just got the car, get under there and check everything, included the oil filter and drain plug. Then check out the intake and the optispark seals and the water pump weep hole for leaks. Low mileage cars like this are notorious for having bad seals and leaks of all kinds. Watch the water pump closely for leaks - if it starts leaking, the coolant dumps right on the optispark and will short it out. Not trying to be doom and gloom, just trying to point out things to be aware of.
Got under the car and checked it out. Everything looks dry. The oil pan, filter, intake...
I wiped the cross menber down, and with a flash light I saw a hose. Maybe from an oil cooler? Does my car come with a stock cooler? Well it looks shiny like it might have oil on it. Where does the hose connect that I saw? The engine block? Any information would help.

gkurtz said:
Got under the car and checked it out. Everything looks dry. The oil pan, filter, intake...
I wiped the cross menber down, and with a flash light I saw a hose. Maybe from an oil cooler? Does my car come with a stock cooler? Well it looks shiny like it might have oil on it. Where does the hose connect that I saw? The engine block? Any information would help.
Well I found out were the leak is coming from. It was the front Intake gasket seal, along with the timing chain cover seal. The dealer didnt want to cover it. This was leaking in my driveway from the first day I had the car. After threatening to take him to Court he did agree to split the $600 job. It just wasnt worth going to court over. Just wanted him to do the right thing. He did half the right thing. This is what you get you buy a pristeen car with 4K miles and mix it with a terrible collectable dealer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom