Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

92 removable hard top rattles

K

kkvette

I have been trying to figure out my rattles in my hardtop since I bought the car. Maybe someone here can help.
If I use the soft top, all is well. When I put the hardtop on exactly in the sequence described in the manual it rattles. The rattles appear to be coming out of the screws or what ever they are that go into the same holes in the back that the soft - top uses. I have tightened them and re-inserted them, but have not been able to prevent them from rattling?
Any ideas?
Thx
larry

I think I figured it out.

There are some big nuts that the little bolts go down through into the converitible top holes.
I tightened those bif nuts and it settled down the rattles.
Too bad the manual doesn't cover those!
thx

Yep, there are 5 bolts on each of the brackets next to the seat belt that need to be screwed down, 2 by each corner of the back window and 2 on the front corners. Another place to look for rattles is the hatch cover not being closed all the way before putting the hardtop on.

2 back corner

I had tightened the two bolts in the back corner that take the little special 8mm tool. It was the big nuts at the based of those bolts that I tightened down that make the BIG difference!
Went years with rattles, just figured it out!
Thx
larry

PITA

Those 2 screws were a real pain. They are very hard to reach. Did you get the little ratcheting wrench with the top? This makes the job a little easier. Also remembered the first time I put the hardtop back on the car. It took me 10 minutes or so to figure out why the top would not seat all the way to the hatch. Then I realize you have to pull the soft top latch release to seat the hardtop. :crazy

Yea, I had the tool, but some how in disapeared?
Sears makes a great 8mm racheting wrench that I picked up.
Got the car in the shop for my other thread on thumping rear noise.
I'll update it on a post when I find out what it is.
Thx
larry

Hardtop rattling

GM released a service Bulletin back in early days about the hardtop rattling. The rivets in the bracket holding the rear attachment bracket are to short,
If you have hardtop off vehicle you can move them around. Just did it to my 1990 Vette.
If you do Google search one of threads has it.
This is for C-4 Vettes that are Convertible's and have a hardtop.

Last edited:
My 1995 Coupe had roof rattles for uver 1 year - too simple of a fix found

Had roof rattles on major bumps for a long term. I kept trying to adjust the bolts holding the roof to the car frame with some success. Later I found out the real problem was the brackets attached to the removable roof panel. Tightened with some locktight on these bolts and this did the trick. Both my solid and clear roof panels needed this. Enjoy the day and the ride!;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom