Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 LT1 Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Leak-Solved

2VettesMike

Corvette
1972 Bryar Blue Coupe 1993 40th Coupe
Just an FYI for those who have 93-94 LT1's with the prime pipe tube fitting on the master cylinder reservoir. GM discontinued the cylinder and the reservoir from all my searches. Aftermarket new master cylinder from all the usual suspects comes with the 95-96 reservoir without the prime pipe tube fitting. You have to swap the reservoir to the new master cylinder.

The problem I had was with weeping of fluid out around one of the reservoir's outlets that go into the master cylinder. From what I can tell I am not the only one. Several attempts to reseat the orings, push down on the reservoir, etc. did not stop the problem. By adapting a tip I found online I solved the problem. Since none of us have the special GM tool to install the reservoir the next best thing is a piece of flat wood. Put that on top of the reservoir and use a large clamp like a woodworking clamp to press it down very firmly and then tighten the one screw that holds the reservoir on the cylinder.

My guess is the extra flexing down on the plastic reservoir is just enough to finally fully seat the oring between the reservoir and the cylinder. I could not get it to work any other way. Two days, no leaks much better than before where it would leak within 10 minutes of filling with fluid. The only good news is I caught this while bench bleeding and before I installed it on the car.

Thanks and good luck,

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike for posting this tip. I'm sure there are others out there who can use this information.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom