Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

94, 95 or 96?

R

racergirl

Hi, I'm new here. I've been placing this same message on as many Vette forums as I can....here goes:
I'm going to buy a 94, 95 or 96 but would like to know if anyone has any problems specifically connected to one or more of these years and what the major differences are. I'm leaning toward the 95's because I heard that they are stiffer and have less roll than the previous years and they still have the OBD1 and LT1. Any info would greatly help. I can't wait to buy my car but want to make sure I get the right one!!
Thanks,
racergirl

racergirl,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

You've asked a good question which in some respects, is difficult to answer. The '94s - '96's were excellent examples of the C4 generation and Chevrolet really focused hard on addressing quality issues during these model years.

These three model years are all very close in suspension settings. Take a look at our Suspension Settings chart written by Corvette Journalist, and Forum Member, Hib Halverson. Here, you can compare the various spring rates etc., throughout the model years and various options within each model year. The url is Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | C4 Corvette Tech Center | 1984 - 1996 Corvette Suspension Chart

From what I can tell, there's little difference between the '94s and '95s in suspension settings but a more pronounced difference between '95s and '96s. Hope this helps.

94, 95 OR 96?

racergirl,

I just wanted to say welcome to CAC. :s One thing my husband and I've found when looking for a new car is to find the newest that we could for the amount that we were willing to spend. Also keeping in mind the mileage on the car, etc. I have a 92, and have friends with all those year models and I don't know of any that have had any specific problems, other than the opti-spark having to be replaced on a couple. One 94 that I know of has been through 2 but it has over 150,000 miles on the vette too. :w

Welcome,
I've had a 96 and my current 93.
by 96 they had all the bugs worked out of opti spark (changed in 95). also 96 offers the LT4 motor (330hp) which is what I had, plus a ragtop. trannys seems to be a problem is 96 for some people including me having to change out the tranny, clutch an flywheel. Other than that car had no problems and ran like a raped ape :D

Hi and welcome!! I would go for a 96 six speed with the LT4. :)

supernatural400 said:
Welcome,
Other than that car had no problems and ran like a raped ape :D

A "raped ape"!?!?!? ROFLMAO!!!! I've never heard that one before!!!!! ROFL!!:L :L :L

Rob said:

A "raped ape"!?!?!? ROFLMAO!!!! I've never heard that one before!!!!! ROFL!!:L :L :L

Really, never heard that expression ??
Maybe I'm older than I think, been hearing that up in the NorthEast about cars since I can remember:J

Geez, and I moved down here from NH last year after living there all my life and I still never heard that. :D

94,95 or 96?

Rob,

You've just lead a sheltered life. ;) I've even heard it here in SE Texas. :D :w

I would also go with a 96 six speed LT4 :gap Good luck with your decision

Beau

1995's

I like the 95's
OBD 1
Improved Opti-Spark over 1994
J55 big brakes standard, not on 94's

1996's are just as good except for you have the O.B.D. 2 computer for emissions controls ( more powerful computer=harder to modify or fool)

I've had both and they ran equally as well, If you wanted a six-speed, you may want to look for the LT4 engine

But don't pass up a good clean, low mile 94,93, or 92!

"There All Good"

also consider a ragtop, hard to beat them!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I definitely want a 6-speed and the LT4 sounds pretty nice, but I would also prefer not to have the OBD2 because I would like to keep my options open for exhaust modification.
Anyway, thanks again!!

too bad you didn't post this about a week ago, the dealer that bought my 96 LT4 ragtop just sold it. good car, very well kept and a new transmission to boot. not to forget a $2000.00 stereo system. wish I could have kept both, but wife said no:r

(Note to self : next time don't ask wife, or get rid of wife and have two vettes):eek

94, 95 or 96

supernatural400,

You need to get wife to :love driving the vettes as much as you do! Let her drive too! :) That's how my husband got to have more than one. Other than we had 2 children and couldn't go out unless we had room for them too, sometimes. :D :D So I got my own vette, then the collection just seemed to keep growing. :w

My fiancee always says how lucky he is that I love cars as much as he does. I understand when he spends several hours working on his Impala SS, or a whole weekend racing it! Of course I go with him so it's pretty fun! When I get my vette we'll be able to take both cars racing and to the car shows. The only problem we'll have besides having no money after we do stuff to our cars is deciding who will drive which car! (He desperately wants to put a 6-speed in his Impala...)

racergirl

http://www.95impalass.com

Racegirl---I like that screen name.

That OBD2 emissions controls precludes adding a cat-back exhaust to a 96 LT4 is nothing but urban legend. LT4s respond quite well to the addition of cat-backs. The best value is Flowmaster. The best performance comes from the Power Effects (wide open) or the B&B TriFlo.

The problem with the 96 cars is their suspensions are too soft. Even the most aggressive 96 chassis, that of the GS Coupes with Z51 is not much better handling than a base 95 because of the softening.

If you want a late C4 that handles well without having to resort to a lot of modifications, I'd look for a 92, 93,94 or 95 LT1 manual with Z07. That gets you selective ride control shocks, all the old Z51 stuff and the HD front brakes.

On the other hand if you want to build your a C4 that handles well on your own, Start with a 96 manual then backdate to 91 Z51 front lower control arms, springs, stabilizer bars, shocks and tire/wheels.

As for your fiance's Impala, I assume this is an Impala SS. It's a shame that GM discontinued the SS at the end of MY96. I had the opportuity two different times to drive a prototype SS with a T56 six-speed transmission. GM was seriously considering a manual trans Impala SS but the decision to convert the Arlington TX plant that built the SSes to truck production forced the demise of the B-car and the stick shift Impala SS was still-born.

Re: 94, 95 or 96

Her 92 said:
supernatural400,

You need to get wife to :love driving the vettes as much as you do! Let her drive too! :) That's how my husband got to have more than one. Other than we had 2 children and couldn't go out unless we had room for them too, sometimes. :D :D So I got my own vette, then the collection just seemed to keep growing. :w

Well I asked her several times to drive the LT4 that I had she always said no. Then after I got that Callaway same thing. I think this all stems back to 1988 when I bought a brand new Z28, she totalled it within a month..Not her fault, some jerk blew through a stop sign and seperated the nose from the rest of the car. So I guess she's just afraid something else will happen to this

Supernatural400,
Sorry to hear about the Z28.:( I'm sure that's probably quite a bit of the problem. I guess you'll just have to force her to drive it somehow.;) You know you could get really inventive. (read deceitful between the lines);) You could go out together and something could come up where she would just have to drive. Of course you couldn't employ this method very often. She might get suspicious.:W:

Folks who let there spouse drive the Vette must be totally and completely out of their minds.

I bought my 94, let my wife drive it and I can't get near it anymore. I can't afford another one. I can't afford a divorce, so I'll spend the rest of my life sitting on the porch dreaming of the day when I go to Corvette Heaven.

Racegirl. Be sure and have fun whichever one you decide to purchase.

ROFLOL!:s :L :L :s :L :s :L DaleB, I guess you'll just have to convince her to share. One thing my husband makes me do is I have to clean my cars myself. That might slow her down some.;) :W:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom