Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

96 Headlight switch illumination gone!

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Here's a strange one: my headlight switch doesn't light up. All my other interior lights work correctly, all my exterior lights are ok and my foglights work including the illumination showing the foglights are on. The dimmer works too.

So when I turn on my lights all my dash lights work except the bulbs that illuminate the headlight switch....

I tried changing the bulbs as I had a couple of spares but they don't work.

I looked at the fuses to see if there is a specific fuse for this though I don't think so.

I reckon this is a pretty obscure problem but someone may know what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

Malc

96 Corvette LT-4 6-speed Z51 Collector Edition
2005 Mustang GT 5-speed

The bulb replacement should have done the trick.

I do know the bulbs are very sensitive to handling.

Maybe try another one.

SAVE the WAVE! :w

I think I've worked it out

The fuse for this switch is in position #6 in the fuse box. The fuse is OK and this also is the fuse for the rear lights which do work. So the circuit is OK except for the switch.

Therefore I think one of the components in the switch is fried. Earlier this week I thought it would be a good idea to try some LED bulbs from Ebay. Unfortunately most didn't work due to not fitting well in the bulb holders/making poor contact/ being too dim when they worked especially poor when used as brake lights.

I remember seeing a flash in one of the rear light bulb holders while I was trying to get one of these pos (and I do mean POS) bulbs to work. My conclusion is that thie cheaply made junkyard bulb shorted this circuit and managed to damage my $300 light switch instead of a 10c fuse...great.

Looks like I'd better seek out a new switch unless I want to live without illumination.

I think I may post about those cr*p LEDs, Don't use 'em!

You could perhaps find a used switch. Much less expensive than new.

You could perhaps find a used switch. Much less expensive than new.

Cheers I will, I think they may be discontinued new....

Malc

Problem FIXED!

Pulled out the switch just to see if I could spot anything and it turned out the gray wire that goes into the fog light switch was broken. Previously some misguided individual had spliced into this wire to connect a rear fog light (we are required to have rear fogs in the UK) and he obviously did a poor job of joining the wires.

I soldered a new wire in from the switch to the join and it all works lovely now!

That's the trouble with American cars in the UK: they very often have POS wiring work done to modify the lights for UK laws...and that's what this turned out to be...

Malc

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom