Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 96 LT4 I just bought...

1996 LT4 Topic

spiderc4

Corvette
96 silver coupe
I just bought a 96 collector edition with 56k miles, I was wondering, is it difficult to do the radiator flush and replace the driving belt? Are these dealer items or someone with basic technical skills can do them at home? By the way, this is my 5th corvette and I've owned over 110 cars! I think, just like most Corvettes this car has to be the best car out there for the money.

Hi Spider! I can't answer your technical questions but I'm sure one of our C4 or LT4 owner members will see this soon and help you out.

I just wanted to say hi and welcome. The '96 CE is a sweet Corvette - congrats!

When you have time, post a thread in the New Member Introduction Forum (click here) and give more of your fellow Corvette enthusiasts a chance to stop by and say hello.
:wJane Ann

Welcome to the CAC! :upthumbs

The '96 Collectors Edition is a very nice Vette to have. A friend is still driving my ex-LT4 CE and he loves it.

Do you have the service manuals yet? If you plan on doing a lot of your own work, they would come in real handy. I think basic skills are all that are required but the manuals would come in real handy. :)

Replacing the belt should be straight forward enough.
Flushing the coolant works like most other cars except that there is a 'bleed' port on the thermostat housing that you need to be aware of. You must make sure that all air is out of the system and use of this bleed port is essential. It's been a couple of years since I sold my last C4, so I'm losing my memory on them. Let's hear from current owners now.

Yup, the bleed screw located on the thermostat housing is the key. I just installed a DeWitts all-aluminum radiator, and went through the process.

Loosen the bleed screw up a couple turns when you start pouring the new coolant mix in. When the reservoir is full, close the bleeder and put the radiator cap on. Run the engine for a couple minutes, then with engine still running, loosen the bleeder about one turn. Watch carefully, and when coolant starts to dribble out, close the bleeder. Turn the engine off, and let it cool for a few minutes. This lets air bubbles work their way up. Keep repeating this process until no more air comes out of the bleeder!

Be sure to keep plenty of coolant in the overflow container, so that as air is expelled, more coolant can be drawn in.

Worked for me! :w

By the way, excellent choice of automobile!!

Congrats on your Vette...

I enjoyed the heck out of the 24K I put on my past LT4!
:lou
Post some pictures of your Vette when ya have sometime. :upthumbs

L8TR - D

One important thing to add (I just changed my the other day). Make sure and put a towel or rag under the thermostat bleed screw. The Opti-Spark is underneath that area and if it gets wet it will fail. The replacement is pricey. Do a search on Opti-Spark and you'll get the picture. Also, you should go ahead and replace the upper and lower hoses while your at it. One thing that happened to me was after driving the car a few miles I could hear the coolant boiling in the resevoir and the overflow tank began filling up almost to the top. After it cooled I checked the Resevoir tanks cap and noticed the rubber seal was torn. I bought a new cap ($12.00) from the dealer and it fixed everything. If you try to get a cap from an auto store it will be cheaper but look out of place and may not be the 15 psi type you need. Also, the serpentine belt is easy, just make sure you have the diagram on the air deflector shield. You'll also need a thin breaker bar to get the nut on the belt tensioner. Put the belt on the lower pulley first then work your way up. It is tight between it and the front cross member. Hope this helps.
Alan
96 LT4

Congrats !

Welcome to the LT4 Clan.

Your gonna love it.

I agree with WradDad...excellent choice of ride. You just can't beat a Collector Edition with an LT4.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the LT4. :upthumbs

It’s a fun Corvette to scoot around in! It being a CE, is icing on the cake.

B17Crew
:w

The serpentine belt is a piece of cake. BUT... in addition to the tight clearance between the tensioner & crossmember, I found that the orientation of the hex on the tensioner bolt may restrict your available motion between the air intake and A/C pipes as you try to turn it.

After trying a breaker bar (couldn't get a socket on the bolt) and a regular serpentine belt tool (couldn't turn the bolt far enough to get sufficient slack), I found one with a ratcheting head which solved both problems.

"KD Tools Geared Serpentine Belt Tool" at Sears: http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00947098000

I suppose one could remove the intake if necessary, but it's more fun to have a new tool. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom