Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'97 auto rebuilt or replaced transmission

Have you had your '97 automatic transmission rebuilt/replace?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Under 75,000 miles?

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Over 75,000 miles?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony1Leo

Corvette
2017 Grand Sport
Poll: Have you had your 1997 automatic transmission rebuilt or replaced and approximate mileage?

Yes
No
Mileage

Hi there,
While this is a very interesting question, I must ask, why????
There are many different reasons for having a transmission rebuild, and many more reasons why someone may think they need a rebuild.
Failure points are critical here.
There are many cars out there with over 100k on the original transmission, with no problems.
Just a thought, c4c5

I'm wondering because I had to put mind in the shop because it was slipping badly. It would take about 1-2 seconds to downshift back into 1st after coming to a stop. It also was having difficulty shifting at about 55 mph into the next gear. It only has about 68,000 miles on it. The dealer stated that it is cheaper for them to just exchange it than take it apart to determine what's wrong with it and rebuild it. It's a '97, the first year of the change over, so I was just inquiring how many people are having problems regardless of the reason. GM is very poor at building completely new models...numberous problems the first or second year of new models.
Tony
Tony

HI there,
Honestly, the most problems I have seen are 2 ways, inaccurate fluid level or valvebody problems.
First, the valvebody could cause the condition that you are talking about, shifting depends on clean, uncontaminated fluid. I suggest fluid changing every 2 years, either way. 97s have had a few problems.
As for the hard upshift, this could be a fluid level problem, because the 3.4 clutch package relies on steady fluid supply.
With that said, I have a feeling that your dealership is try to serve you best, as the replacement unit comes with a 3 year, 50000 warranty against any problems.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

One item that you might want to consider (especially if you intend to "enhance" the engine output) is to get a performance transmission rebuild such as what Yank does.

I would strongly agree with Paul that transmission performance depends on fluid (level, time in service (max of two years between changes), also temperature - if you have installed an upgraded torque converter, you should also add a transmission oil cooler). Too often, the transmission fluid gets neglected and as a result, the transmission goes on holiday prematurely.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom