Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'98 C5 automatic gear ratio change????

Smolan

Corvette
1998 Convertible Torch Red
Hello all, new here. Your forum is very informative. I just need a bit of advice. I purchased my first Vette a '98 C5 Convertible with an auto trans with 43000 miles, all stock, no mods. In a week the differential started screaming, not due to abuse. Diagnosis bad gears. Stock ratio is 2.73, since I have to replace the gears, what negative results if any would occur between going with 3.42 vs 3.73? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the R&R pics

The information and pictures are very helpful. I still need to determine if 3.73 ratio gears are too much for an automatic trans. I will mostly be using the car as a driver with the occassional burst of fun and racing as many Fords as possible. If anyone can provide specs or information on the details as how and why to choose which ratio, that would be most helpful.

Thank you

I still need to determine if 3.73 ratio gears are too much for an automatic trans.

their is no mechanical problems installing 3.42, 3.73, 3.09, or 4.10's in an A4 C5.

The deciding factor in choosing is... for you to determine where (how far) you want the mod to take you.

Personally, 3.42's took me exactly where I wanted to be. For you, your end goal may be different.

Gear ratio

their is no mechanical problems installing 3.42, 3.73, 3.09, or 4.10's in an A4 C5.

The deciding factor in choosing is... for you to determine where (how far) you want the mod to take you.

Personally, 3.42's took me exactly where I wanted to be. For you, your end goal may be different.

Based on my driving style, I feel the 3.42:1 gear ratio will suit my needs. Thank you for the informative replies.

Smolan, I have been looking into this mod and for the everyday cruise around town, drive to work on Fridays with a "spirited" drive in-between 3.42s would be the max I would go.

This might help also. (this is not mine and I horked it from another site)
Burnout_GearRatioChart-05.jpg

Gear change

Thanks for the RPM chart. Looks like the 3.42 ratio would suit my drinving needs well. Thanks again for the iinformation.

Smolan, I have been looking into this mod and for the everyday cruise around town, drive to work on Fridays with a "spirited" drive in-between 3.42s would be the max I would go.

This might help also. (this is not mine and I horked it from another site)
Burnout_GearRatioChart-05.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom