Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

99 Wheels- keep them or change them?

What would you do about the wheels on this 99 FRC?

• Keep the original wheels

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Get some new wheels

Votes: 32 72.7%

• Total voters
I think I know which one you mean.

attachment.php

So you're saying that Sam went in halves with me? :L

I think I know which one you mean.

attachment.php

So you're saying that Sam went in halves with me? :L

Exactamondo! ;LOL (I loved that story you told about him saying he liked SILVER Corvettes the best. That was a hoot!) When you talked about going in halves on the new coupe and buying a Pewter (sorta Silver one), I remembered Sam and the story.
wink.gif

Hey all! I'm back in the C5 fold again with my new-to-me 99 Pewter FRC.

The question is: should I keep the wheels or update them? Mr. S and I are both leaning toward new ones. I'm curious what you guys think.

If you would go with new ones, which ones would be your choice? (include a picture, if you can, please!)

IMG_1375.JPG

photo courtesy of MM-C5 if you don't see a photo, click here: http://picasaweb.google.com/2000corvette/99FRC?authkey=y82aloeAIOshSiFCict5FyllT7k

Tammy

Go with new wheels, for my choice stock looking Z06 wheels like your earlier Millennium Yellow Z06 had, only in chrome. :upthumbs

Tammy,

I saw this photo Dwayne posted in Remo's tire and wheel thread and thought I'd post it here for all to see. The rims look great on this Pewter 'vert

These are the rims I've thought of putting on my Corvette, if I ever decide to fork out the bucks and go with different rims.

:w Jane Ann

348ggnd.jpg

Thanks for the photo, Jane Ann. It does look good, but...
I guess I've just been biased by having a z06 with the stock magnesium wheels for 4 years. That's the only kind of z06 wheel that looks right to me, and then, it only looks right on a z06 :L (jmo of course).

Remo and I have a "gentleman's agreement" for a springtime wheel sale, and I am looking forward to getting his discards as he moves on to bigger and better things :gap

Tammy

Hmmm, Dwayne must be referring to 2005, when I fell off the Clean-the-last-speck-off-the-Wheels-With-A-QTip-Wagon for a while. I did get accustomed to seeing dingy wheels :L

Hmmm, Dwayne must be referring to 2005, when I fell off the Clean-the-last-speck-off-the-Wheels-With-A-QTip-Wagon for a while. I did get accustomed to seeing dingy wheels :L

Tammy - sometimes it's hard to follow Dwayne's thinking. He marches to a very different drummer;) . Speaking of good old 6-Shooter, here's a ride he might like.

Remo:cool
ronal.jpg

Keep your stock wheels.

Tammy:

You might consider this approach to your stock wheels.

100_0476.JPG

Grant

Tammy:

You might consider this approach to your stock wheels.

Grant

Grant,

Nice! :upthumbs Eric has that same product on his stock rims too. Actually, I won a set in a drawing at CF'06 in BG but I haven't put them on my rims. Just couldn't decide if I'd like them on my polished chrome. I've been saving them in case I someday decide I want something different without laying out a lot of bucks.

Grant,

Eric has that same product on his stock rims too. Actually, I won a set in a drawing at CF'06 in BG but I haven't put them on my rims. Just couldn't decide if I'd like them on my polished chrome. I've been saving them in case I someday decide I want something different without laying out a lot of bucks.

Jane Ann

Jane Ann:

A few chrome photos. Actually looks quite good on chrome. Owners report numerous compliments.

It's a non-destructive mod. If you don't like them, they can be removed with a hair dryer.

Grant

fixvetafter.jpg

fixvetchromeafter1.jpg

OUR97-1.jpg

BobMorrow1.JPG

I had the wagon wheels for 2 years on my 97. Eventually one of them bent and instead of buying a new one i went for the chrome Z06 wheels. I highly recommend them.

OK, this is going to sound like a dumb girl question but...if you can put 18" wheels on both the front and back, why does the car have 17" wheels on the front as stock?

I think I could use that extra 1" to keep from scraping every driveway, culvert, etc. etc. etc. I drive over.

Signed,
Dumb Girl

Grant, those look very nice!
They get my vote for best bang for the buck. However, I was overruled ;LOL (I admit, I didn't put up much struggle).

Pinky said:
.if you can put 18" wheels on both the front and back, why does the car have 17" wheels on the front as stock?

Pinky, I don't know the answer to that. Tire and wheel sizes and their geometry has always escaped me too.

Tammy

I have a 2004 that was ordered with every option except special wheels, so I have the silver painted 5 spokes. However, I was at recent rally with over 1,000 vettes (most C5s) and didn't see another set of painted 5 spoke wheels. A couple of people have asked if I have titanium wheels; lol. Virtually everyone with C5s has either has the polished 5 spokes, the chrome 5 spokes or most common of all the chrome Z06 wheels.

I have seen new chrome Z06 wheels for C5s as low as $799 outright for a set with C5 logo center caps and lug nuts and no exchange, and that's with no discounts. I guess that is why you see them everywhere.

The forged wheels that run about $5,000 a set are very rare on C5s.

The C6 wheels, included in the C6 Z06 wheels, are not attractive to me and I cannot comprehend why anyone would put C6 wheels on a C5, but some are already doing so.

Hate to say so, but with late model C5 wheels so inexpensive I would trade out teh WWs. I plan on changing out my stock 5 spokes to 3 piece forged wheels when I need new tires.

Grant,

Thanks for posting the pix... those look good. And I'm glad to hear they're so easy to remove also. Like I said, I think I'll hold onto them just in case I decide to make a change down the road. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom