Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Better View of Your Corvette's Uniqueness

MyOtherCar

Corvette
1992 Coupe, Corvette Yellow, 6-Speed!
Since this extrapolation subject was so interesting, I did further research using even more accurate data than that provided by The Corvette Black Book. I recently purchased Cor-Vette Specs. I discovered this reference book to provide much better details and a breakdown of production facts. Using this information and extrapolating the data for my '92 LT1, I was able to determine that mine is more accurately 1 of 4 built as opposed to the 1 in 12 figure I calculated using my first reference in the previous post. Here's the way it worked out:

1992 Exterior Data:
A total of 14,604 Coupes were produced.
Code 53, Yellow, 448 Coupes = 3.067% of total

Interior Data :
Code 193, Base Leather Black, 3,892 = 26.65% of total

Option Data:
Code MN6, 6-speed, 4,070 = 27.869% of total
Code FX3, Electronic Selective Ride, 4,042 = 27.677% of total
Code C68, Electronic A/C Control, 12,771 = 87.448 % of total
Code AC1, Power Passenger Seat, 10,978 = 75.171% of total
Code U1F, Bose AM/FM Stereo w/Cassette & CD, 10,292 = 70.473% of the total

To find the "uniquiness" of my Vette I just multiplied the known percentages of the known number of Coupes that were produced in the 1992 Model year. Using these facts I didn't need worry about all the ZR-1's or convertibles that have the 6-speed, as they are already separated from the totals. Great reference book.

Anyway, here's how mine shakes out without rounding off the
calculation:

There are 448 Corvette LT1 Yellow Coupes known to be built.
(448) (.27869) = 124.853 w/6-speed
(124.853) (.27677) = 34.555 w/FX3
(34.555) (.2665) = 9.209 w/Base Leather Black
(9.209) (.87448) = 8.053 w/Electronic A/C
(8.053) (.75171) = 6.053 w/Power Pax Seats
(6.053) (.70473) = 4.266 w/Bose AM/FM Stereo w/Cassette & CD

So I can safely say that my Corvette is definately 1 of 4 produced. Pretty cool, eh?

Where are the other three????

Since you have the one in four where are the other three. It would be cool to find them.

Alan

p.s. If one was salvaged you would be one in three and if one was water damaged you would be one in two

Interesting thought, although unless any of the other three are lurking in this forum, I don't know how I could locate them.

You have too much time on your hands

Alright Bill, you have way too much time on your hands. Besides I thought Marines weren't suppose to be so smart!:)

Hope you enjoyed the car show yesterday. Once I saw those flurries I headed home at warp speed. You had a much better chance of driving in snow since you had one of your "other" cars. Didn't have a problem however.

Take care and see you at the next meeting.

Ron
Baldie88

Hey There Ron, welcome back. I'm happy to see your retirement "list" of activities still allows you to come visit the forum again!! Lots of lurking to do, ya know????;)

Yeah, great show, only cost me about $100 for "stuff" I just couldn't do without. AND I got a great lead on factory GM Chrome rims for my Vette. Think I'll pursue that. I enjoyed all the nice cars out there, some nice ones for sale too!

Yeah, that snow shocked me too! Although the Toro drives okay in inclement weather, I likewise heded for home, think it was about 4:45 when I left. OK then, see you on the 1st at the meeting. Time to go watch the football games and have a brewski!

Bill

MyOtherCar said:
Since this extrapolation subject was so interesting, I did further research using even more accurate data than that provided by The Corvette Black Book. I recently purchased Cor-Vette Specs. I discovered this reference book to provide much better details and a breakdown of production facts. Using this information and extrapolating the data for my '92 LT1, I was able to determine that mine is more accurately 1 of 4 built as opposed to the 1 in 12 figure I calculated using my first reference in the previous post. ...Great reference book.

So I can safely say that my Corvette is definately 1 of 4 produced. Pretty cool, eh?

Bill
That is pretty cool! :upthumbs I checked my latest Corvette Central catalogue after reading a previous posting in which you or someone else mentioned Cor-Vette Specs. It sounds like an excellent reference book, but the only one available in my catalogue is for the C4 generation only. Do you know if one was produced for other generations?

Would you do me a favor (at your convenience of course) - check the 1994 model year and see if it mentions the factory installed luggage rack? The Black Book doesn't mention it. My '94 TR convertible that I sold had the luggage rack, but I've not been able to locate any stats on that option. :confused

I'm going to post a reference to this thread in the Extrapolation thread (if you haven't already) for the benefit of the C4 owners that were looking for info on their models.

Thanks in advance.
JAG
:w

kingman said:
Since you have the one in four where are the other three. It would be cool to find them.

Alan

p.s. If one was salvaged you would be one in three and if one was water damaged you would be one in two

I was thinking the very same thing when I asked the question in the other thread, and you gave a great example.

Maybe when I get this database worked out, it could be used as the offical C4 register, if there is not one already around.

XLR8 said:
Bill
That is pretty cool! :upthumbs I checked my latest Corvette Central catalogue after reading a previous posting in which you or someone else mentioned Cor-Vette Specs. It sounds like an excellent reference book, but the only one available in my catalogue is for the C4 generation only. Do you know if one was produced for other generations?

Would you do me a favor (at your convenience of course) - check the 1994 model year and see if it mentions the factory installed luggage rack? The Black Book doesn't mention it. My '94 TR convertible that I sold had the luggage rack, but I've not been able to locate any stats on that option. :confused

I'm going to post a reference to this thread in the Extrapolation thread (if you haven't already) for the benefit of the C4 owners that were looking for info on their models.

Thanks in advance.
JAG
:w

Hey JAG, happy to help out!
Cor-Vette Specs by Mike Antonick is only available for the C4's. I was unable to find any other similar publication for later (or earlier) models. :(

Interesting note about the factory luggage rack, Code V56. It was available on the convertibles all the way through 1993, but in 1994 and subsequent years of the C4, it was no longer available as an option. Makes one wonder what happened????

Regards, Bill

MyOtherCar said:
Hey JAG, happy to help out!
Cor-Vette Specs by Mike Antonick is only available for the C4's. I was unable to find any other similar publication for later (or earlier) models. :(

Interesting note about the factory luggage rack, Code V56. It was available on the convertibles all the way through 1993, but in 1994 and subsequent years of the C4, it was no longer available as an option. Makes one wonder what happened????

Regards, Bill

Thanks Bill. That is an interesting fact. My '94 had the factory luggage rack, but maybe it was a dealer installed option. Just my luck if I sold a 1 of 1 Corvette this past summer. :eyerole That would be even more reason to miss her - I already do anyway. :cry Would have kept her if I could afford 2.

Thanks for answering my question. I posted a link to this thread in the other "uniqueness" thread and gave you credit (of course).
JAG

My first Corvette
143291994_Corvette.jpg

I'm sorry '92 Yellow, but I don't think that your calculations are correct. For example: you stated that appx. 26% of coupes had black interiors, hence you applied that 26% to all Yellow coupes. The problem is that ALL yellow coupes could have been black, not only 26%, because the percent applies to the whole total of coupes produced; you can't apply those percentages to an individual color. You do have a rare color, in fact you may have the ONLY one with a black interior. You should contact GM, I believe they have a way of getting info about that. By the way I also have a '94 Trans Am, in yellow, GM cut production of yellow in Dec. 03, hence a rare 16 total TA's in yellow. I contacted a rep from the company at that time and he wrote a letter to me verifying the rareness of the combo I had. Since then I put the car away with 17K miles on it.

I agree with Ruby Fan. You make an assumption that all of the options are random. That is the only way that calculation could work. In real life, I suspect that some options tend to be purchased together. The power passenger seat and the AC would tend to both be there or neither be there. The interior color choices are sometimes restricted for any given color. In any event, it is quite uncertain how many like yours were built. Bummer. :(

Ruby Fan said:
I'm sorry '92 Yellow, but I don't think that your calculations are correct. For example: you stated that appx. 26% of coupes had black interiors, hence you applied that 26% to all Yellow coupes. The problem is that ALL yellow coupes could have been black, not only 26%, because the percent applies to the whole total of coupes produced; you can't apply those percentages to an individual color. You do have a rare color, in fact you may have the ONLY one with a black interior. You should contact GM, I believe they have a way of getting info about that. By the way I also have a '94 Trans Am, in yellow, GM cut production of yellow in Dec. 03, hence a rare 16 total TA's in yellow. I contacted a rep from the company at that time and he wrote a letter to me verifying the rareness of the combo I had. Since then I put the car away with 17K miles on it.

I know, you could be absolutely correct, and judging by the way GM does not have accurate records, we'll never know for sure. And because of a lack of definitive, public records, we have the mathematical procedure called "extrapolation", whereby certain mathematical asssumptions of known quantities are applied to unknown quanitites. Trust me, this is the best we can do right now unless some archive of records becomes open to us owners. But thanks for your review and input. It's what makes the world go 'round!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom