Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C actuator and door

G

gambit

Anybody know how that little door on the passengers side under the dash is supposed to work with the A/C ? It has the little round pie shaped actuator that looks as if vacuum will cause it to open and close. Mine doesn't do anything but I assume it should haha. Got any ideas?

That's the fresh air inlet (vent). It opens and closes when the heat/A/C control is set to 'vent'. Yours is probably frooze up due to water running down the windshield pillar. Happened to my 78', the flapper door pivot rusted but the vacuum actuator was OK. Try a little WD-40 on the linkage and pivots.

Anybody know how that little door on the passengers side under the dash is supposed to work with the A/C ? It has the little round pie shaped actuator that looks as if vacuum will cause it to open and close. Mine doesn't do anything but I assume it should haha. Got any ideas?

On an A/C car, it's not a fresh air vent. There are two vacuum-operated air valves in that assembly - one at the kickpad grille, and a second one up at the top in the air intake plenum in front of the windshield. When the system is on "heat" or "normal" A/C, the top valve is open (to admit outside air into the system), and the bottom (kickpad) valve is closed. When the A/C is on "max", the top valve is closed (shutting off the outside air inlet), and the bottom one is open, so the system only gets inside air, drawn in through the kickpad grille.

:beer

Anybody know how that little door on the passengers side under the dash is supposed to work with the A/C ?...

It's vacuum operated. You should find a small color coded vacuum hose running to it. The assembly instruction manual (AIM) has a chart showing the various doors opened and closed dependent upon the console setting.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom