Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C and radiator fan question

Baldie88

Corvette
2016 triple black vert.
I've got an 88 with the electronic climate control. Which fan, puller or pusher, should be running when the A/C is on? Seems to cool fine while moving but when sitting in traffic it seemed to blow warn air like the compressor cycled off. After I got moving everything was fine.

I did notice that the pusher fan didn't come on till the temp was 228. I've got a 195 thermostat and stock temperature switch for dual fans. I think this is about standard.

Compressor seems to be cycling fine and the fittings are sweating so I know it's working.

Appreciate any help.

We ask that you keep the size and number of pictures to a minimum. You may use an optional signature to appear at the bottom of your posts. However, you are allowed to post ONLY one picture of your Corvette and one "Color Club" banner in your signature. Banners are not allowed to exceed 468 x 60 pixels and/or 15KB in size. Pictures are not allowed to exceed 300 x 300 pixels and/or 15 KB in size. Weather banners are not allowed. We do reserve the right to edit any pictures to fit these requirements. We try to keep the Corvette Action Center Community Forums running as quickly as possible. Thanks for your cooperation.

a/c and fan question

I have been having the same problem with my wife's 89. I'll tell you what I did so you can try it and tell me if it helps you. Open the hood and go to the pass. side of engine compartment,
There are 2 electrical connecttors on one of the refrigerent lines straight behind the compressor. The small diameter is the one you want. Unplugging this switch should make the pull fan come on instantly. If you unscrew this switch and then plug the two back together the fan should cycle as it is suppose to do.

Hope this helps, I would like to know if it does the same for you as it did for me?
Tony&Tracy
89 BRIGHT RED COUPE

Baldie88:
On my '88, the puller fan, between the rad. and the eng. comes on with the a/c. My a/c is also blowing just alittle warmer air when just sitting still. Having more air flow is what make it cooler.
I'm not sure when my pusher fan comes on.......I think it works off the ECM when the eng. gets really hot!!!
Good luck,

I tried tmiller24's tip and disconnected the small electrical connector on the refrigerant line. The pusher fan did come on but I forgot to check the puller fan. When I reconnected the electrical connection the pusher fan went off after about 10 seconds. I'll have to check the puller fan operation some other time since business trip calls.

Just idling the puller fan does not come on when the a/c is turned on. I do know that the pusher fan comes on around 228 degrees but I haven't checked the puller.

My question is, should the puller fan come on when the a/c is turned on regardless of the temp and when does the puller fan come on without the a/c being used? I thought it was about 200 degrees. I've got the original coolant switch and 195 degree thermostat.

I had briefly put in a 180 degree coolant switch but then the puller fan ran all the time and didn't want to do that since I kept the original 195 thermostat.

Appreciate any suggestions.

The way I see it

In my 88 ( and I gotta fix this, not correct )

I installed a low temp pusher fan sensor it comes on @ 200 and holds on till 180.

The AC cycles when I idle and I'm not above 180 ( High pressure trip on compressor )

Makes sence so far....

The puller doesn't kick in till 232 ( ECM control)

I'm thinking to do a mod so anytime the clutch is pulled in for the AC the PULLER fan kicks in.

I would think that the ECM would do that automaticly..... oh well

Vig!

cooling fan cycles

Hey baldie88,
On our 89 the rear or puller fan comes on as needed as directed by the switch I had you disconnect. In a general sense the puller is on most any time the engine coolant temp is up to normal and the a/c is turned on but the computer ultimately has control of it all. We took a $35 chance and replace the refrigerant coolant temp switch and that along with a ignition timing increase of 2 degrees seems to have solve my wife's cooling troubles.

Tony&Tracy
89 Bright Red Coupe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom