Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C Bacteria and Mole In Evaporator

Buckskin7T7V

Corvette
1977 Buckskin
Did any of you see the news item a couple of days ago, on the bacteria and mole found in ac evaporators?
There is a product that will clean out the system, but I did not have time to write it down. It is a foam, that you spray into the system.
It was also mentioned, that it is very important, that the system drain is open and not blocked. I have noticed, that my Toyota a/c has a drain and when I run the a/c, it drains a lot. The only condensation I see coming out of the vette, is the same drips from the compressor hose. Is there a drain vent on the system. Mine is a 77?
:confused

I don't know about the drain, but any pool or spa place should have the stuff you're looking for. We have the same *concern* with our sauna style bathtub. Bacteria can buildup and wreack havoc. We were told to use scalding hot water and dishwasher soap, run the jets, and then drain and run the jets with cool water to clean.

sorry about the sidetrack, anyway, a pool place should have the foamy stuff you're looking for.

Russ

I saw a while back on one of the auto TV shows (Gross' Garage or Shadetree mech :confused ) where they were discussing this issue. The cure was to take a spray can of Lysol Disenfectent and with the engine and A/C running, spray the Lyson into the cowl air intake. Use the whole can. They said that it would take care of the bacteria and other stuff growing in there.

I would also recommend airing the car out real good afterwards :D

tom...

My car pees so much it makes me do a double-take! More than once I've checked to make sure it wasn't a coolant leak...

Were is the pee hole located?

I sure hope that there is not a "mole" in the AC; I'm not sure that the form will take care of it!

You might need a shotgun! :L :crazy :L :crazy

Used a 357mag.

A/C stench in town car

I didn't see the TV piece on A/C ... but do ya remember Legionaire's Disease? Those deaths were caused by mycobacterium (mold) that'd formed on A/C internals ... bad stuff'll grow anywhere that's dark & damp within a wide range of temps. I know this is kinda off topic ... but it relates. I'm currently test-driving a 98 town car that had sat for at least 3 months in Florida heat & humidity ... and from the looks of it hadn't had more than a cursory rinse in probably a year or more. The underhood air intake for HVAC was heavily clogged with leaves & debris (drains all but plugged) and the A/C produced an overwhelming stale and moldy odor ... so bad that my sweetie's allergies reacted violently to it. With the A/C off, and after partially disassembling the intake's lid, I spent nearly six hours carefully water-flushing and hand-picking every bit of muck from the intake. Under the muck I found a wire-mesh screen ... cleaned every grain of schmutz from it. With proper light, I could see there was a foam filter under the screen. I didn't have the manual (nor inclination) to completely disassemble the intake ... so I repeatedly flushed water through the filter & drip-dried. Then, with the A/C running I repeatedly sprayed-drenched the filter with Lysol. Then, with the A/C running I repeatedly sprayed-drenched the filter with a common laundry/textile pump-spray product named "Febreeze" ... it is remarkable! It does a great job of removing odors from fabrics/upholstery and was just the ticket for the Lincoln's HVAC filter. Now, the A/C smells exactly as it should & sweetie loves the car! There is an aerosol product made specifically for this in one of my catalogs ... can't make out the manufacturer but it's named "PureAir ... an automotive air conditioner duct system cleaner & deodorizer." Wholesale's for about $5 /8 oz can.
JACK:gap

Every a/c evap I have every pulled out and held in my hands is rank with black gooey green sludge and debris.

Add one part water, one part heat, one part humidity, and one part darkness and you get growth. Kind of like a science fair project.

I use to do biohazard clean up on fresh water flooded cars years ago. The Chevy parts counter had a G.M. approved disinfectant/cleaner for the a/c systems.

You removed the selector blower speed switch relay housing out of the evap case (gives you about a 1.5"x1.5" access hole into the chamber, then with high pressure air you would siphon the cleaner into the hole and blast it with the car running. This stuff was deadly and could not be directly inhailed. Car had to sit for 24 hours afterwards. We did this to all fresh water flood cars that got up to the dash in water. Otherwise, the growth of ugly stuff that gets so accelerated by the dirty flood waters would overtake the evap in no time rendering the car unusable.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom