Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! A/C Dual Climate Control Problem

No problem. ;)

Problem may be found...........

Ok so I've reset the thing, checked for codes, and had a buddy test the Sytem which he said is holding the correct amount of Freon.
Wednesday Night I took the Car for a Spin and noticed the Digital display on the Heater Fading in and out. When I pressed my A/C Button I now here a little "click" sound, about as loud as a Bic Lighter. Toward the end of my Drive I noticed the Display on the Heater Control was now very Dim. I think the Problem may be the Heater Control itself?:ugh.

I checked on EPay and seen many Sellers offering Rebuilds on Heater Controls, Here's what one had to say, Notice the Red Lettering....

Here is what you will get with this service....

• [*]Dead or dim digital display will be repaired.
    [*]Dead back night lighting for the buttons will be repaired.
    [*]If you have hot air on one side & cold air on the other side this service will not fix your problem. Your system is out of calibration, please do not call us for technical suppont if you have this prblem.
    [*]No cosmetic repair is available with this service.
    [*]My repair service is backed by a 7 year ebay member with over 4,000 feedback & 25 years of experience with automotive electrical systems.

Another said this.........

If your Corvette climate control has any of the following problems:

• Display is Dim
  • Display works intermittently
  • Functions work intermittently
  • Readout is completely dead

Anybody?

Okay, your dim display problem is common with all the dual climate control HVAC units in the C5. That is repaired by resoldering a bank of resistors on one of the boards inside the HVAC unit. See the picture below:

dual_climate_resistors.jpg

Now once you resolder those resistors, you may notice that none of the bulbs work any more. Thus, you need to just go ahead and replace all the bulbs while you have the unit disassembled (I think there are 15).

Now back to your original problem. Your friend checked your system with some gauges. I explained to you earlier in this thread that you need to have a evac and recovery done on your system because this will tell you exactly how much R-134a is in your system. Your friend's gauges cannot do that. You can continue to try and get around doing this but until you do, your problem is not going away. A R-134a system is VERY sensitive to the amount of oil and refrigerant that is in the system so you can't just top it off. Your car requires EXACTLY 1.5 pounds of R-134a. More or less will cause problems. I had this service performed for $50 at a mom and pop shop. The gauges told me everything was correct. The ACR2000 (evac and recovery machine) told me that I only had .4 ounces of R-134a in the system. So much for the gauges.

Your system is low and that means that you have a leak somewhere. That will have to be fixed. The ACR2000 will inject dye into your system that can be used to find that leak. Here's a description of what that machine does.

ALL MODELS WITH R-134A REFRIGERANT.

The ACR2000 is a complete air conditioning service center for R-134a refrigerant. It recovers, recycles, evacuates, and recharges refrigerant quickly, accurately, and automatically with little attention from the technician. A microprocessor controls the unit's functions while prompts on the display lead you through the operation. Multiple technology changes incorporated in this unit have resulted in substantial time reduction in identification, recovery, vacuum, and recharge operations. A built in refrigerant identifier checks for contaminated refrigerant prior to recovery, and the entire service procedure can be done with one hook-up to the vehicle. Pressures are shown on the high and low side gauges while other operating information is shown on the display. This unit provides technicians with a technologically advanced product that is designed to their specifications while dramatically improving efficiency and lowering operation costs. Although the ACR2000 meets governmental standards for proper recovery and reuse of R-134a refrigerants, it is also designed to meet technician's needs for use and efficient maintenance. No other unit on the market offers these features and is GM approved.

It also does a leak down test where it will pressurize the system and see how much pressure is lost. If too much is lost too quickly, you will be advised of that. So, you can continue to try and get around the problem by wasting time doing other things but if you want some advice from someone who has walked the road that you're walking, you just read it. ;)

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom