Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C help needed Please

ZAL81

Corvette
81 Charcoal Metallic 4-spd & 94 Red 6 spd vert
Hey Guys and Gals, I haven't been on the forum for a while, simply because of time and the car has been running great - when I have time drive it. I put a whooping 120 miles on her last summer. Well now I have time and I have a problem - NO A/C. The compressor locked up last year

So heres my question, How hard is it to change out the Compressor - Dryer and Lines? I have all the parts, just looking to get any advice before I tackle the job! Also, exactly where is the orifice tube located in the system? The Service Manual isn't much help on the A/C system.

Thanks in advance,

Zane

Hello Zane,

The orifice tube is located just in for of the heater box on the right side of the enginebay. Changing the compressor is easy, changing the dryer is a problem. First you need to get it loose and then try to take it out from underneath.

Greetings Peter

To change the dryer you need to remove the right side vent on the fender and some large wrenches.
there isn't a lot of room and it will be VERY EASY to break the fiberglass!!!!!
you may have to lift the vette up on the rt side and get one of the connections underneath.
if you get it off.. make sure the connections are very tight when you put them back on so it doesn't leak!!!!
good luck!!!!

If the compressor locked, I'd also look at flushing the system components too- lines, condenser and evaporator. Be sure and use refrigerant oil to lube all the o-rings when you put it back together.

Thanks for the replys guys! I do have a lift in my garage so that will help and I'm guessing the fittings will be tight as hell. I'm going to take the hood off so I don't damage it while trying to get the hose off the condensor. I do plan on getting the whole system sucked down and leak tested before having it recharged. Hoping to get started on it this week, so which me luck!?

Later Zane

:w Zane...

Long time :Steer since we've spoken... Lot's has happened ;) I still have RARE but added Abby to the stable. DawG had a stroke last June and is recovering .... good days and bad days, but mostly still the old DawG .. he is learning patience :eek:hnoes :chuckle

This year CruiseFest is close by yous guys ;) Effingham, IL Don't know if you know or not, but I no longer work nor do we live in California ;)

Good Luck with the Air Condition... YOU need it there in Missouri :dance

Bud
Oh I changed from Rare81 to Yoda ;) :D

:wback at ya Bud!
Yeah I knew ya moved to Texas and added Abby to the family. Nothing like having two Corvettes to clean and maintain!!

Sorry to hear about the DawG. I'm sure it pull thru it all and be back to the same old DawG in no time.

I saw that Cruisefest is in Effingham this year. Thats less than two hours from my place, so I'm hoping to at least make it up for one of the days!
Maybe depending on which way you come up, we can get together for lunch/dinner and a cold one.

I'm hoping to tackle the A/C repair this week sometime, even though I'm still not sure where that damn orifice tube is located:confused. I guess I'll find as I'm tearing it apart!?

Hope to see ya in Effingham, Later Zane

:w Zane...

Long time :Steer since we've spoken... Lot's has happened ;) I still have RARE but added Abby to the stable. DawG had a stroke last June and is recovering .... good days and bad days, but mostly still the old DawG .. he is learning patience :eek:hnoes :chuckle

This year CruiseFest is close by yous guys ;) Effingham, IL Don't know if you know or not, but I no longer work nor do we live in California ;)

Good Luck with the Air Condition... YOU need it there in Missouri :dance

Bud
Oh I changed from Rare81 to Yoda ;) :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom