Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C install

Paul, sorry but i'm confused now regarding the pulleys. If we are still only using two belts - one to the alt and one to the Sanden compressor and the current main pulley on the car now already has two grooves, why do we need to change any pulleys? You mentioned a new waterpump pulley in your email list.

The waterpump pulley is a slightly smaller diameter. Don't know why GM engineers spec'd that one, but I got it because they did. It will make the waterpump and fan spin a little faster. Your original will probably work fine if you don't care to change it. I would think most people don't change their's either.

Like I mentioned in the email, I used everything that GM did because they were engineers and smarter than I am. :W

Paul, I understand. I didn't realize it was a diameter difference, I was assuming it was a groove difference or just a completelt additional pulley to be added. I can see where increasing the fan speed would help. If it's not a big deal to change it than lets plan on going ahead and doing it. IF we end up doing the cam swap also than all of that has to come off the front of the motor anyway. Timeframe wise on your visit when you come down is the only issue that would cause me not to do the cam swap. That in addition to the A/C may take too long in which case i'll hold off on the cam - the A/C is the priority without question. :)

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Classic Auto Air unit, but rather than buy a new A/C hood bracket, you can adapt the existing one to work the same as the factor A/C unit. Do a search for a post by Stepinwolf on July 1, 2005. He included a photograph of an offset bracket he designed and built to relocate and lower the hood release to appear the same as the longer A/C hood release. I relocated mine with a spacer that was difficult to install, but will copy the one by Stepinwolf if I have to take it out again.

I remember that post, but as I had limited fabrication facilities, it was easier for me to buy a new one. Good solution though. Better than those spacers in the VA kit.

soppeng
I also remembered Stepinwolfs post regarding his fabricated bracket but since I have NO fabrication facilities here Paul's solution of the new one from the factory A/C cars offers a much easier alternative even if a bit more expensive.

BarryK said:
soppeng
I also remembered Stepinwolfs post regarding his fabricated bracket but since I have NO fabrication facilities here Paul's solution of the new one from the factory A/C cars offers a much easier alternative even if a bit more expensive.

Barry,

A bit more expensive, are not words I particularly like to hear in this hobby, so tell me how this sounds to you. Since your fabricating facilities, and skills are rather limited this is what I will do. Send me your complete name and address, and I will send you one of these brackets ( I do have a few extra's made up ) no charge.

You may consider it as a small gift, and my contribution to your car. If, however on the other hand you insist on some type of momentary compensation, be warned, you won't get it. :nono

Stepinwolf

Bob

that offer is more than extremely generous!

hmmmmm, looking at Paul's "shopping list" now......... lets see, $50 for the replacement factory A/C hood latch bracket from LICS or Bob's bracket for $0. Gee, what a hard decision to make :D

I LOVE this forum, definately the best people in the world are on here!

Bob, I'll email you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom