Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/c Repair Experts ?

misterKTM

Corvette
'93 Black 6 Speed
Help, My A/C is on the fritz. I bought a recharge kit, but the gauge reads in the 'red' zone when testing the charge. The directions say if the gauge reads in the red, you have other problems than a low charge. I hate taking my cars to mechanics, I do all my own work....but don't know much about the A/C system. Never had to work on one before. Anyone have any suggestions on what direction to head in ?

Thanks,

Rob

A/C just blows hot or warm air it never gets cold. The only thing I have done is to check the charge so far. The link doesn't seem to work on the article you suggest.

Thanks,
rob

MY 1980 DID THE SAME THING AS WELL AS I DID WHAT YOU DID. took it in and had it tested and found the a/c compressor bad , changed out the compressor/accumulator and found a bad a/c hose. had it recharged and works fine now. hope this is not your problem but be prepared,

Link now works...

Well it would appear you need a charge put in your system. Do you know what is in there? R-12 or R-134? I use enviro-safe as it is enviormentally safe and works better then 134. Plus you use less of it. I can supply you with the address where you can get a kit with hoses and 3 cans , more then enough to do the job.
Let me know...

A 93 is R-134

So what does the car currently do... If you select AC does the compressor spin up..... does it cycle? are you getting luke cool air....?
Are the vent's all blowing in the correct places @ the correct time?

If the AC system is static ( not rolling )

And you have a charge in the system... it will be ROUGHLY 90 lbs of pressure.

Many questions here.. Need more info

Vig!

Vigman,

90 lbs ??? that is about what I'm seeing, but that is way higher than the directions say I should be seeing. 90 lbs is WELL into the red zone on the color coded gauge ?????

Everything seems to work as it should, compressor runs, air blows out the correct vents etc. the air is just not cold.

Rob

90 lbs STATIC

Means compressor NO TURN..
If it 90 with the system RUNNING you either have .....

a) A VERY overcharged system which is DANGEROUS!

b) A ton of AIR in the system.

c) Wrong freon in there.

d) No cooling fans operational.

e) A bad valve in the compressor.

The LOW side pressure with a properly charged system & the compressor running SHOULD be around 35-40 LBS on the Suction side ( Large hose )

If your gauge is on the SMALL hose ( High side) STOP!!!!!!!

The HIGH side ( when the charge is proper ) and compressor is running, can reach 200-350 lbs of pressure turning your little charging canister into a small hand grenade!

Need more INFO.

Is the pressure in the system 90 lbs either running or not?

Vig!

hmm, maybe your condensor is messed up

is your compressor making any noise??

if your compressor isn't making any noise
and isn't clicking on and off really fast

then you have a clogged valve mos tlikey
you can fix that your self,

but i think there is a condensor,, not sure if those mess up or not

is the 90 lbs on the high side ,is the guage connected to the accumulator. I agree with the other posts, is the compressor running,by the way your 93 is R12 good luck Jim

The Accumlator

Is the BIG aluminum ( silver thing ) by the radiator.... FYI ( If you already knew...sorry)

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom