Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

? A/C Retrofit: early C3 ?

Jack

Corvette
71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
:confused Has anyone retrofitted an early C3 with factory A/C? :confused

What are the top five areas of difficulty? ... and what would I be in for?

Here's why I ask ... I'm considering purchasing another early C3 ... but this time it'll be a roadster. I'm currently looking at a yellow 71 roadster but it does not have A/C. I'm also looking at a yellow 69 roadster w/o A/C. And yes, here in the Carolinas I really need A/C.

I know how to retrofit the stuff forward of the firewall (the easy part). But I don't know about the ductwork/boxes on the firewall or anything else under the dash and in the console and elsewhere inside the cockpit.

I'm not interested in an add-on ... I want true retrofit. Folks that have done it or had it done or otherwise have intimate knowledge of a factory retrofit ... please educate me.
JACK:gap

Provided you can obtain all the components on ebay, it's pretty straight forward.

It'll be more time consuming than difficult.

I'm not sure on your 'vette, but the hood has to come off of my '77 to get the condenser in and out. That'd be the most difficult.

I have intimate knowledge of the whole system--which would be the same as yours. I think you'd be better off with factory original duct work and aftermarket--read: modern--compressor, lines, accumulator, and condensor.

But, what you want to do is feasable and probably less trouble.

Heck, a/c is a must have if you intend to ride women around in it.

photovette said:
I think you'd be better off with factory original duct work and aftermarket--read: modern--compressor, lines, accumulator, and condensor..

?Anyone else? ...Yep, plan to go more modern underhood but if the car is otherwise original I may go w/period stuff. Thanks.

Not many responses though yours is a worth while project. So many people shy away from working on the a/c system--I have no idea why--people who can rebuild a Quadrajet with their eyes closed won't touch the a/c system.

I don't live that far from you--get the stuff and I'll lend a hand. I'll even give you your choice of refrigerants--R409a, R414b, R134a, and, I even have plenty of good old R12.

photovette said:
Not many responses though yours is a worth while project. So many people shy away from working on the a/c system--I have no idea why--people who can rebuild a Quadrajet with their eyes closed won't touch the a/c system.

I don't live that far from you--get the stuff and I'll lend a hand. I'll even give you your choice of refrigerants--R409a, R414b, R134a, and, I even have plenty of good old R12.
Thanks! ... that's mighty kind of you. I don't have any reservation about attempting it ... primarily I need to know which ventilation parts I retain & what must be acquired/changed. But first, I must acquire a car that needs A/C. Well ... just Tuesday evening a private seller and I agreed on purchase terms for his early C3 yellow ragtop (no A/C) and car is tentatively sold to me. It is about a thousand miles away, so there's the matter of deposit (en route) ... and then I must travel to inspect and (if as seller describes) complete the deal. I'm bursting to say more but I'd like to first have bird in hand ... who knows ... it may turn out to be junk I don't buy ... or if it's a super deal I surely don't wanna lose it (loose lips sink ships).

Jack, if this is a non-AC car originally you may want to consider some of the retrofit companies like Vintage Air. They make application specific kits and sell them thru dealers around the country to be installed by a DIYer or a shop.

No personal experience - but I've heard good things about them and briefly looking at some of their stuff impressed me. Roughly a 1000ish or a little bit more.

Unless you have a uniquely inexpensive source for the factory parts - I'm almost positive scrounging all of these up will cost significantly more and may require reconditioning as some are not avail new/repro... (check out the cost of the HVAC vacuum control piece for the console alone!) I'll also add that the factory AC system is not very well engineered (poor isolation between the heater and AC and lack of choices as to where you wish to direct cold air for example...)

If you are starting from scratch R134a makes sense.

If you want a factory type AC system in a non AC Corvette you will have to remove the front clip from the car. There is a vacuum door in the plenum of AC cars that is covered by the front clip. This vacuum door switches the air that is pulled in by the fan from outside air or cabin air (closed cooling).

I am converting a 68 vert to AC but it will only operate in closed cooling mode. No way was I going to remove the front clip. Also, I bought an inside heater box and evaporator setup from an 81. Everything fit well. You will have to cut a bigger hole in the firewall.

I bought mine last summer with an aftermarket system that works quite well. The only problem is that it runs through a seperate control box tucked away next to my right knee. I'd like to upgrade the controls in the console so that it would look stock but I have been told that is very difficult with my system. One thing to consider when you retrofit, the new compressors weigh substantially less than the beasts that GM used in 71.

BBShark said:
If you want a factory type AC system in a non AC Corvette you will have to remove the front clip from the car. There is a vacuum door in the plenum of AC cars that is covered by the front clip. This vacuum door switches the air that is pulled in by the fan from outside air or cabin air (closed cooling). I am converting a 68 vert to AC but it will only operate in closed cooling mode. No way was I going to remove the front clip. Also, I bought an inside heater box and evaporator setup from an 81. Everything fit well. You will have to cut a bigger hole in the firewall.
BBShark:
First, welcome aboard CAC. Your info is focused on exactly the issues I need to learn ... THANKS! Of course, I hadn't planned to R&R a clip for an AC retrofit either! But I'm ignorant of what needs changing. If I were to install like yours, Am I to understand that unless I install a vacuum door (under clip) the AC will work but will only recirculate cabin air through evap coil? I think I can live well with recirculating AC air (closed cooling). Should the defroster and heater work reasonably well in a closed system like you're installing? BTW, I'm much nearer closing deal on early C3 NON-AC roadster.

When I restored the 63 I installed AC in a non AC car. I bought the complete heater/ac unit out of a wrecked 66. Since she was in every piece she could come in it was not that hard of a job but I do not see how you could do it on an assembled car with out pulling the front clip.:w

Jack, I have a 72 coupe that I took all the factory heat/aircond parts out of, I am going to use a vintage air setup. If you end up making the deal maybe we could swap a few parts. If possible I would like to have the non a/c vent system in my car in addition to the vintage air setup, I live in Idaho and dont need the a/c setup as often but it would be nice to have some fresh air coming in by your feet. Keep me in mind if you end up getting the car.

Mike

M&W's72vette said:
Jack, I have a 72 coupe that I took all the factory heat/aircond parts out of, I am going to use a vintage air setup. If you end up making the deal maybe we could swap a few parts. If possible I would like to have the non a/c vent system in my car in addition to the vintage air setup, I live in Idaho and dont need the a/c setup as often but it would be nice to have some fresh air coming in by your feet. Keep me in mind if you end up getting the car.Mike
Mike:
Capital Idea!!!! One hand washes the other.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom