Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C Vents...

Corvette
1979 Bright Red L-82
A/C Vents...????

I have a 79 and I want to remove the two vents above the guages in the center console and replace them. Do I remove these from the front or do I need to go in behind the bezel to get to them?

If it's like my 81 I'm pretty sure you need to get at them from behind, you might be able to push in the sides of the bezel to get them out, and the new ones back in, but I would be a little too worried about cracking the bezel. Might be worth a shot, be gentle though :) .

Hope this helps,

-Chris

Thanks......I will be giving them a try in the morning....I thought you might be able to gently pry them from the front......

Be real carefull when you begin to pull the center bezel out ... use a small screw driver to help the top clear the map light assy. Most lights have a very sharp metal edge on them and will tear or cut the dash covering. Also be careful not to break the two bolts at the bottom of the bezel that connect the bezel to the console.

If your radio is stock or was installed with the back bracket, then you will need to unbolt it also.

I've had the center bezel out to take the defog vents apart (I dropped something down the vent opening :eek :( ) I ended up taking the glove box out and the speedo/tach to gain access to the bolts holding in all the vents... as I recall the dash vents came out first ... before I could get to the defog vents.

Good Luck Daryl and leave the armorment and hammers in the house ;) remember the age of your car and the plastic tends to get just a tad brittle :eek

Bud

Daryllawman said:
Thanks......I will be giving them a try in the morning....I thought you might be able to gently pry them from the front......
Daryl your's are like my 78!! I use a dental pick thay will come out front with out removeing Bezel!! :upthumbs junk!!

Your best to get them from the back. The center bezel comes out easy. As someone mentioned make sure you get the two bolts that hold the bezel to the console. You need to take of the console side panels to get at the screws....a small socket will do it. You may aswell change the bulbs on the rear while you are at it.

Jim

if they haven't been fooled with before, there are metal clips that hold the vents into the bezel on each side and in the middle of the two (if they are anything like my 78's). those clips really need to be removed FIRST to get the vents out of the mountings. they remove from the back making it pretty tough to try to get the vents out the front. the vents also are "hinged" with little pins that extend on each side to allow them to rotate up and down. needless to say, that makes them remove from the back also. (the clips keep them in their "tracks"). all the "cautions" above are VERY REAL. the lamp housing that afixes to the top of the bezel requires that the bottom of the bezel be slid out first to allow for clearance. i know it might be a real pain, but if you can remove the radio (from the back), it will make the whole job a bit easier by allowing the bottom of the bezel to be pulled forward (after removing the bolts that hold it to the console) thereby lowering the top of the bezel enough to clear the dash pad with the lamp housing.

steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom