Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A combined read of how to mod a cross-fire?

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
Has anyone who's modded their Cross-fire ever compiled a step by step booklet as to how to increase the horsepower of a L-83? I know I would love to be shown just what each of you did, step by step and what worked and what didn't. There is a lot of info out there, but it's never been put into a condensed form. To my knowledge.

Jim, are you talking about adding an xfire or somsuch? Or just plain mods such as the 85 Fuel Pump, high flow cat? If the former, i have something i can try and dig up from a german site (if i remember it completly, it's main part is in english, else i'll translate) from a guy who added a xfire and other parts to make his 82 CE go scary fast.

:w
-Stefan

Jim, are you talking about adding an xfire or somsuch? Or just plain mods such as the 85 Fuel Pump, high flow cat? If the former, i have something i can try and dig up from a german site (if i remember it completly, it's main part is in english, else i'll translate) from a guy who added a xfire and other parts to make his 82 CE go scary fast.

:w
-Stefan

Hay Stefan, Hi there. I'm interested in trying to increase the Horse power from my 84 CFI from 205 to say 245 or 265 or more starting with a engine rebuild, and then work on the heads and a mild cam, then on to the technical CFI stuff. Like the new intake manifold and using oversized injectors and a later model/ high pressure fuel pump and generally anything I can WHILE keeping it as stock as possible. I'm not sure how to do this or if it's possible, while keeping it stock, using the stock air cleaner and such. I realize that I'm very limited by flow volume, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

See If I sold the 84 and bought a 87 or 89 then right off the bat I'm starting with 245 HP and using the tuned port injection is pretty widespread with all sorts of cams and exhaust systems and so on? I know you german guys have a whole different way of looking at a problem, and i say that in a very favorable way. Anyway any help is what i need. Thanks again !

Jim Ward

Jim,
i am assuming you posted a thread on the CrossFire Forum as well under James? If so, there is a lot of info in the response too.. But to get a crossreference (pun intended. :) ) here is the thread i have found from the CF.de: LINK.

Please read the parts written by Friedel (fsahm), he is the one that had the 82CE that went past 250km/h-155mph.:eek:hnoes Past tense, as he sold it to a another forum member on CF.de, who's been running it since.

If i understand the whole concept properly, the TB's need to flow better, ie. need to be opened up, as they stock flow 550-600 CFM, with an XRAM top you would get 1200CFM, but not without other mods: 85 Fuel Pump, cleaned up headers (inside) and a different cam.

Also on the Crossfire forum, the boys are working on a new TB/top plate called the Renegade, they are testing it right now and it might be available soon. If you dont have access to those threads, register there. It's very interesting.

I am no expert at all in this, just have been following the threads about it, but i have no interest in modding my car, unless it's very slight and doesnt touch the motor or ECM. I am thinking about doing the fuel pump, but am still afraid it might increase my mpg.. :confused

Again, i know, this isnt what you were looking for (the complete guide), but i think you can get a read whats possible and what people do. From there, you have to make choices. :thumb

I hope this helps at all. If you need translations for the german parts, let me know, be happy to help.

:beer

-Stefan

Thanks very much Stefan, And yes i posted on the cross-fire board My name there is my real name James, And this link will help quite a bit. I too want to increase my horsepower without too much engine or ECM changing. I have the website for the 'Renegade' intake manifold and i will glean from the link some of the information and see what i can do.

Most of the Corvette magazines on the market have over the years only shown and talked about the limitations of the CFI setup, but to my knowledge no one has acually undertaken a comprehensive in deapth analysis of what it would take to get more out of the L-83 engine. In corvette history, the cross-fire has been generally overlooked, Mostly due to the flow limitations of both the heads and the intake(That includes the manifold and injectors and fuel pump) So hopefully the link you provided will help. Thank you again !

You can port the intake and TB's for more flow. If your desire is 250-300 horsepower, alot of porting is not needed. You could bump the cam up slightly and put a good free flowing exhaust system on it. Roller rockers would also help. That should give you the boost in power you are looking for.

You can port the intake and TB's for more flow. If your desire is 250-300 horsepower, alot of porting is not needed. You could bump the cam up slightly and put a good free flowing exhaust system on it. Roller rockers would also help. That should give you the boost in power you are looking for.

I was planning all of those options, except for the roller rockers, as I've read that the 1.6 roller rockers will hit the valve covers once installed ? And i think I'd have more sucess with the new 'Renegade' intake manifold over porting and polishing the old Crodd-fire manifold. I have read that all of the low volume manifolds are just not going to produce the power at low speeds, but please correct me if I'm wrong.;shrug

I put 1.6 roller tip rockers on my 84 and had NO problem at all. I too am looking for a different manifold and such. I have been in contact with summit about a better cam that is still ecm friendly. I have had mine for 5 years now and am interested in moding it. I have built a few motors and did some drag racing also. Plus I have 25 years of machining under my belt.
I stumbled apon this site while I was looking for ideas on a intake and cam. I too want to keep it stock appearing....

Ron

I was planning all of those options, except for the roller rockers, as I've read that the 1.6 roller rockers will hit the valve covers once installed ? And i think I'd have more sucess with the new 'Renegade' intake manifold over porting and polishing the old Crodd-fire manifold. I have read that all of the low volume manifolds are just not going to produce the power at low speeds, but please correct me if I'm wrong.;shrug
I installed comp cam 1.52 on intake and 1.6 on exhaust both self aligning roller tips no problems with hitting and great improvement in flow on exhaust because of higher lift more exhaust out for better intake.

With all the suspension, brake, interior, cooling, etc work done, I now really only need to focus more on the CFI.

So far Ive done:

1 Cold air intake mod for 82
2 Ported CFI intake (CNC done)
3 85 pump mod
4 Emissions delete
5 Test pipe
6 Free flow Pacesetter Monza mufflers
7 shift kitted 700R4
8 3.08 rear gears

With these mods so far, the car now accelerates much more like how a Corvette should. It's no LS6, but much better than a stock 82. Next is 1.6RRs. Roller tip rockers will bolt in with no valve cover mods required. Just check your pushrod slot clearance. From the folks that I know that have done this, there hasnt been any interference reported, so its a good chance youll be good to go with just a bolt in : Comp Cams 141816

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom