Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A little help, how do I get it home????

In all seriousness I would pay the 900bucks to get it transported. By the time you spend the money to drive and extra hotel bill and food etc you would spend a part of that anyway.

I really like the idea of buying a enclosed trailer and then storing the car in it in winter, but that is expensive.

If you drive it home and all goes well fine you may save a few bucks, but remember your driving an old car that you just bought without knowing much about it. If one problem arises ( and it probably will) it will cost you way more money than the 900 dollars. Lets see maybe the fuel pump goes out in the middle of nowhere,,theres the tow bill,,the price of the fuel pump from the repair shop (twice what it really cost) and the total soaking he will charge you to put it on."Remember your stuck where you know no one" Nope not me, I wouldn't drive that car home to florida, never mind in the snow. Could you imagine if the transmission went out. That would be major bucks spent.

You wouldn't enjoy the drive anyway as you would be scared sick of having a problem crop up and be asking yourself why you were so foolish to attempt this in the winter.

Transport it and enjoy it near home when the weather clears up.

Good Points Made

All the posts were valid. Taking a week off work plus the cost of a trailer, gas, food, motels, bad weather etc. On the other hand, if I do the math right, you can't beat having it delivered and it eliminates all the headaches. I drive my 62 every chance I get, had it out quite a bit this winter, and believe me, I drive it hard. I didn't build the engine to produce 425+ HP to baby it, or let it sit. But one thing I won't do is accelerate it's life by exposing it to the biggest killer, salt. If I break something by running it hard, it can be fixed, if it rots from salt, it's a flower pot. If it was my decision and I were you, I'd pay the $900, go to work everyday and have it delivered to my door, as clean as it was when it left. Just my $.02. Let us know what you decide and how everything works out.

I vote for trailering...

I agree with all of the posts so far, for the most part. Corvettes are cars, but they are cars that are pieces of art at the same time. It would be a shame to see anything happen (mechanical or body) to your new baby before you even got to enjoy it!

A thought I had, if the $900 transportation fee is for an open trailer, you could buy a huge tarp (we just bought one to cover our construction that is at least 50x75, so I know they make them big enough). Put the tarp down first, drive the car onto it, cover the car with a good fitting car cover, then wrap the tarp around it and tie it securely (to keep it from flapping and causing damage itself). That way your new toy would be protected from the road ravage even though it isn't in an enclosed trailer.

Just a thought - good luck in whatever you choose to do!
Barb :w

So far I see the same reasoning as before and most of it comes down to, I don’t want to clean it up after I drive it. In an earlier post I think I explained that I have a heatable wash room and a lift to allow me to keep the underside clean. Also when I trade a car in it never hits the lot, the dealer has it sold before the title is signed off. So I’m not sure the thought that it’s being rebuilt because the previous owner didn’t put it away during the winter applies if you maintain you cars properly.

It all boils down to the way I became a Corvette driver, that was my only car and I drove it year round. It wasn’t until the mid sixties while I was married that we had 2 cars and I still drove it year round. Now I have 4 cars that I can drive and I still will take the Corvette out as often as I can. The “only” reasons not to drive it is because I don’t want to get it dirty (don’t want to clean it up) or it is too icy to drive a car with tires that wide. Yes, I’ve had the 72 out in the last week, no snow though. Where I work here in Northern Ohio there is at least 2 and generally 4 Corvettes in the parking lot all year long. One is a great looking 69 vert that is a daily drive, every day rain or shine, snow or ice.

It took me 2 years to get this kind of thinking across to a friend of mine that lives in the Northwest part of Chicago. Last fall he got his 76 out that he had put less than 1,000 miles on in 8 years, tuned it and drove it to Floa-duh for the winter. He’s having a blast down there and I hope to be down there with him (in the Corvette of course) shortly.

Nice little story about his trip. Down in KY. someplace he stopped for gas and when he went to restart it he got that old “clunk” sound. No juice, tried to jump it and no dice, wouldn’t turn over and there was a belt missing. The big bearing had froze up in the alternator and cleaned out that belt. The guy that was helping him turned out to be the manager of the local auto parts store. He went to his store and got a new alternator and belt, brought them back and installed them, started the car checked the charge rate and charged him for the parts only. Now does anyone see where you could meet this kind of guy if it had been trailered?

I guess what I’m saying here is that it was an experience, driving a Corvette is an experience, so why not drive it. We don’t take anything with us when we leave this mortal world so what we experience is the most we’re going to get. Enjoy this life as you see fit, enjoy the people in your life the same way, then enjoy the “things” you chose the way you chose.

I look at a 10 year old Corvette with 1,200 miles on it as a waste of the peoples time that designed it, assembled it, bought it. Just think of how many happy miles were missed, and how many people worked to provide the material goods to create those happy miles, just to have it sit in a corner all covered up.

Enough, we will never settle this, I have a bigger question. How can I drive both at the same time to have the most fun possible?

More .02

Pay the $900 to antique and classic car mover. They will take good care of your baby. To me it's worth the peace of mind.

Dad, I hear you and I agree with you, but I think we're getting a little off topic. It's not a "drive or not to drive" question in general. It's a "drive or not to drive" in either snow melt from salt wet conditions or not. How much damage will I risk doing to the vehicle from either road debris or salt, be it either a short term or long term potential issue.

I will be driving the car.

Thanks everybdy.

Have fun and let us know how you make out. Michael

worry, time & money

That's what I think this debate is about.

Do you take the time to make the drive with an unknown newly purchased vehicle, or do you have someone else transport it safely (with no headaches for you) to your door.

Hoosier, I'm like you. I bought it. I want it. Now.

Personal decision for your peace of mind.

Do you have the time and money to devote to this winter road-trip to conduct it yourself? I'd say go for it, I think it would be a unique experience! (just be sure you have the skill to drive it in winter road conditions, vettes are tricky in the rain, let alone other conditions)

However, if you are unsure AT ALL about the reliability of the vette and the way it has been used and maintained...I'd ship it. Request for a top berth, that way it will be out of the way of ground level traffic-thrown debris.
I do and don't like the tarp idea. My father was a household goods mover, and he taught me that even when you tie something tightly, there are still going to be loose spots in a cover, or the friction of the trailer's motion will cause the tied areas to rub whatever is tied beneath it. Any grit under any cover with motion (travel, wind, vibration et cetera) is like a sander. I would rather the vette take it's chances 'au naturale'. It could be considered if it was first meticulously washed/waxed, wrapped in soft, heavy padding and then a waterproof tarp...but still, done incorrectly, it may cause more damage than not having done it.
Silver

I just had mine shipped in November form CA to OKC it cost me $700.00 and came in a covered trailer and was delivered to my door. I thought it was a good deal. Prices ranged from $0.70 to $2.00 mile. It ws well worth it to me. Good luck!!!! :D

MNHoosier, just Curious.

Congrats on finding your car. What did you buy? Did I miss it in the posts?

Guy

Found? Yes. Bought? Not yet. :hb

From what I hear about the car, it's sounds wonderful, but it's 900 miles away. A member here, Moose, has been teriffic and patient about answering my questions and sharing with me his opinions and knowledge.

I just need to decide to actually do it, figure out how to get it here, book a flight, get some $$$ and hope that it's everything that it's been billed.

I'm not made of money. If I wanted to spend an extra $1,500 on the car, there are a few more closer that might be as nice, but I haven't considered yet. Maybe I should. :confused

Just being nosey.

I was just wondering what kind of car you found - convert, t-top, year, color, engine? Godd luck if you go through with the deal.

:beer
Guy

It's an '80, blue, basic unit with very low miles and in great shape.

Thanks.

Sounds like a winner - gook luck whatever you do.

Guy

Enjoy the ride, and you will need some luck.

Hope you can work it out. The stress of getting it done will be the joy of driving later....I'd like to see your face when you put the key in the ignition. :D

Sounds like the perfect car! Well, maybe I'm a bit biased, but definately put all the costs in there before making your decision. The only thoughts you need after arrival of that vette is where are you going next, and what do you want to upgrade, repair or change.

Good luck!

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom