Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Little Video of the Hoopty

Someone sure knows the limit of their Vette! I was sure he had lost it a number of times, but each time he used counter force perfectly to get it redirected. Great video!

I AM SORRY SOME OF YOU ARE HAVING A HARD TIME VIEWING THE VIDEO. TRY GOING TO THE HOME PAGE, BRAAAP.COM. YOU SHOULD SEE TWO SNOWMACHINE VIDEOS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN WITH SOME SHORT CUTS PASTED BETWEEN THEM. ONE OF THOSE SHORT CUTS IS FOR DOWNLOADING THE NEWEST VERSION OF QUICK TIME. MY BROTHER IN LAW HAD VERSION 6.0, BUT WAS UNABLE TO VIEW THE CLIP UNTIL WE RE-DOWNLOADED QUICK TIME FROM THE WEBSITE. I HOPE THIS WILL ENABLE THE REST OF YOU TO VIEW THE CLIP.
AS FOR THE CAR. SOME OF YOU WERE WONDERING WHAT THE CURRENT CONFIGURATION IS. WELL, IT IS A STOCK FRAME AND INTERIOR OF A '77 L-82. I HAVE RIPPED THE SUSPENSION OUT AND INSTALLED THE VETTE BRAKES PERFORMANCE PLUS FRONT AND REAR KITS. THE TRANNY IS THE ORIGINAL TH-400 REBUILT WITH ALL NEW TRICK PARTS AND A STAGE THREE SHIFT KIT. I AM RUNNING A 24OO RPM STALL CONVERTER AND 3.70 REAR GEARS. THE MOTOR IS THE PRIDE AND WALLET BUSTER OF THE WHOLE CAR. IT IS A SMALL BLOCK 400 BORED .030 WITH ALL THE GO FAST GOODIES I COULD AFFORD. THE BLOCK IS DECKED, HEADS (MILLED TO 71CC, 2.08INTAKE, 1.60EXHAUST) AIR FLOW RESEARCH 210 RACE HEADS WITH EXTRA PORTING, COMPRESSION RATIO OF 10.75 TO 1, FORGED 4340 H-BEAM 6INCH RODS AND FORGED 4340 INTERNAL BALANCED CRANK. THEN I HAVE ALL THE OUTER GOODIES LIKE MSD IGNITION, EDELBROCK VICTOR INTAKE, ROLLER EVERYTHING VALVE TRAIN COMPLETE WITH NASTY CAM PROFILE. DEMON RACE CARB HOOKER HEADERS CERAMIC COATED WITH GLASS PACK INSERTS, NEED THOSE BAFFLES YOU GUYS WERE TALKING ABOUT A COUPLE MONTHS BACK. AND MUCH MUCH MORE. BOTTOM LINE IT COST AROUND $14,000 FOR THE MOTOR AFTER A COUPLE OF MACHINE SHOP GOOFS AND SOME LEARNING ON MY PART. THE DYNO SAYS IT MAKES 606 HP AND 588 FT/LBS ON 90 OCTANE PUMP GAS. I AM FAIRLY HAPPY WITH THE WAY SHE RUNS, BUT AM CURRENTLY FIGHTING A HEAT PROBLEM WITH THE CARB WHEN IDLING IN TRAFFIC TOO LONG. MOTOR RUNS RIGHT AT 180 WITH THE STOCK RADIATOR, BUT THE HOOD HOLDS TOO MUCH HEAT WHEN STOPPED. I MIGHT GO WITH FUEL INJECTION SOONER THAN PLANNED.
I AM GLAD EVERYONE ENJOYED THE VIDEO THAT GOT TO WATCH IT AND BUMMED FOR THOSE WHO MISSED OUT. THANKS FOR COMMENTS ABOUT MY DRIVING ABILITIES, OR LACK OF THEM. AND YES SEVERAL PEOPLE REPORTED ME TO THE FUZZ BUT LUCKILY MY BUDDY WAS ON DUTY. HE WAS THERE JUST BEFORE FILMING STARTED BUT HAD TO LEAVE OR END UP THROWING ME IN JAIL. ALL IN ALL IT WAS A GREAT DAY, EXCEPT FOR THE TIRES. AT LEAST THEY ARE CHEAP!!!!

We went to Apple.com and downloaded quick time. It plays just fine now.

Wow, that was some crazy rear tire destruction.

It was fun to watch.

Sorry to be a dissenting voice here, but that was anything but cool. Driving like a maniac on a public highway, while brutally abusing a car is crazy. You want to race your car, go to a track. Don't put other people in danger while you're playing.

I used to feel the same way untill Sept 11. Now I drive mine whatever I feel like. I was supposed to go to the towers on the Saturday before. I blew my old engine in November of last year.

SMOKE EM' IF YOU GOT EM'!! :bu

it has brought to my attension that a few people do not like the video. i am sorry if it has offended you. it was filmed 20 miles out of the city limits, and the next city is 100 miles from the film site. the people that called the police are known as "cronic bunny huggers" by the locals. nothing against environmentalists, but these people have nothing better to do than report others for things they can't but still want to be able to do. as for the traffic, great care was taken to not interrupt or endanger the public. my police officer friend reviewed the whole video for the day, and concluded that jesse passin and i used good judment in our choice of location/timing for filming.
bottom line, i am sorry if i offended anyone. i feel the video was in good taste and ment for entertainment of all corvette fans!

It was great!! If you review all of the emails, you will see that basically everyone enjoyed it. You were 'cutting-up' on a country road and not some busy interstate or highway. I think you used good judgement.

Kudo's on your driving skills!!

I thought the video was a blast.

However, saftey is always a great concern when doing some so wild. Thanks for giving more details on the "behine the scenes" activities that took place to keep from harming innocent individuals.

BTW....if you guys liked that, then you will love Autocrossing. Granted, the goal of autocross racing is not to see how much tire you can detroy, but to perfect your braking, turning, and overall driving skills.

However, in my local club we usually get at least six runs at about a minute to a minute in a half worth of running each time. Long story short, I always get in at least one CRAZY run like that video you saw there. When they see me staging on my last run, they all usually stand back a few feet, because I am going to drive it like I stole it. The best part is, no worry of having blue lights in the rear view, saftey cruise on hand, and a nice helmet to protect the old bean on top in the event I get the tires on the wrong side of the pavement.

This is why most of us choose to drive CORVETTE. People hear that name and expect the car and driver to be skilled on taking it to the hairy edge and back again.

I have some VHS of my autocross activities. If I could just digitize them I would love to post it up so you all could laugh and cry with me as I spin, turn, grind, rev, and bodge my way to the finish line.

Chris,

Digitizing the video is fairly easy if you have a video card with audio and video inputs. If not, last time I looked stand alone cards are fairly inexpensive and easy to install, basically plug and play.

Bob

YEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWW

Very Cool stuff!

I LOVED THAT VID!

( BTW had NO problems playing it...it was probably those PC dunderheads that HAD a problem!)

MAC'S RULE!!!

Vig!

That was hilarious.

On that second run I wonder what the driver was thinking when he saw what you were doing in the rear view mirror.

loved the vid

AKRAY4PLAY,

Dude that was an awsome video. I sent it to my cousin, he has a 71 Roadrunner 6-pak. I know that he'll get a kick out of it.
Anyway....Is the hp you stated on the ground or the flywheel?
Kinda hurt my feelings to read about your set-up.

Reason-I changed my mind at the last minute. I changed from a similar set-up to a BB 396(402). I hope it was worth it.

I tell you watching that video makes me wonder.

Anyway I loved the vid...

Crebo,
all the power figures are at the flywheel. as far as i know, there is not a rear wheel dyno anywhere in Alaska. i wish there was so i could better tune the motor for the drivetrain configuration. i am looking at getting a fuel injection kit next summer. i hope it will boost the numbers a little, but mainly hope for better drivability in real world traffic. i went with the small block to save weight, but a big block 396 is a fine motor. there have been a couple in the family, unfortunately not in vettes. they are solid runners and less expensive to build than small blocks with the same power. the longer stroke of the big blocks will help your volumetric effeciency numbers and boost the torque. a 396 should run a little cooler than a 454 as well. i think the next motor i build will be a 454 small aluminum block. it will be a bit, this motor tapped the play fund a little deeper than projected.
i am glad that most everyone has enjoyed the video. next year should be better. Jesse Passin (the filmmaker) and I have been planning a little skit with the local police department and a couple of other fast cars. if we get the go-ahead, it will be some kind of fun.

GGEEEESSSS

EVEN THAT LOCAL POLICE ARE IN ON IT!!!!

Thats freaking cool

Totally awesome. Wish mine could do that. :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom