Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A new Mistake (it sure ain't red)

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
It is official, the 69 is black as black can be as we speak. I got off work a few hours early and started taping it off. We made arrangements for another fellow to actually paint than what we had planned. His name is Chris Taylor, and he is awesome. Takes great pride in his work. He actually is a paint rep for ICI, but had no problem squirting my Dupont.

I got to use a neat product called SLIME. It is a soap based chemical that is shot out of a spray gun. You put it on anything you don't want overspray on. So, I jacked up the car and flooded the underside.

It took me several hours to tape it off (me and old gimpie right arm do what we can). Rolled it into the booth around 5:00 and started spraying around 5:45. Finished up at 9:30 last night. I am going to pick the car up this morning and square up on my bill. Like I said in the other post. This last round of paint chemicals alone was $797. That means that doing this myself, between filler, fiberglass, paper, sand paper, tape, thinner, gun cleaner, primer, sealer, base/clear, base/clear for the jambs, and misc items like spreaders, blocks, etc. I have spent around $2,000. Kind of scary. I know some shops will offer to paint your car for $1,000 or less. I don't know how they make any money that way.

The car looks great. There several spots that have soaked through despite endless hours of blocking and priming etc. He put plenty of clear. I should be able to 2000 grit block, and buff those areas out. His paint work was flawless. The car just glows and I could not find a single run or dry spot.

I will pop some pics in here later.

Okay, if all Corvette's are red, then mine is a major mistake. I never said it was going to be perfect!

I could not sleep last night, I am excited to see what it looks like in the sunshine today, and anxious about putting it back on the trailer and dragging it home.

Pictures are definitly in order.
Congratulations.

:upthumbs Very cool Chris!

- Eric

Pictures!

View

Look at the last page here of 69MyWay for photos of it in the booth and a few other shots.

It was pouring down rain when I picked it up this morning, so I put it in the inspection bay here at work and dried it down. I guess I will be dragging it home tonight during rush hour.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428880&a=13584041&f=0&sp=101

I can't help myself, here is another LARGE shot. Sorry, I know I should shrink these down, so be patient if you have a slower puter.

View

that is outstanding. from the pictures you did a great job. robert

Verydeep!

:eek
Looks like you could fall into the paint forever! I can't wait to see an outdoor / sunshine pic!
Heidi

Awesome is the word, Your 69 project has got to be thrilling.
I see it as step By step problem solving at its best. Im thinking you may have the most complete archive of a corvette rebuild "in the world" Ive never seen any documented project that is even close to how youve handled yours. Very impressive indeed. And inspiring.
TomC

there's always the Black Sheep Squadron

Looks fantastic Chris. Did you use a sealer? I have never had a soak through problem with sealer. My black laquer job on the T/A made a believer out of me. Tell me more about Slime. Sounds like a great time saver.

Tom

WOW! Looks fantastic, Chris and very, very, mean!
What makes it even more special, is the fact you were involved from start to finish in the renovation. Proud of and for you. :)

:upthumbs
Patti

Re: there's always the Black Sheep Squadron

59Tom said:
Looks fantastic Chris. Did you use a sealer? I have never had a soak through problem with sealer. My black laquer job on the T/A made a believer out of me. Tell me more about Slime. Sounds like a great time saver.

Tom

Yes, I used sealer. In fact, it is an integrated part of the Dupont system. They come in value shades depending on the top coat color. I used value shade #7 (the darkest-for black paint).

The soak through is minimal, but enough to notice. If the car was red, white, yellow, etc. you would never even notice.

The soak through may be because of dry spots of primer that drifted into larger sanding scratches, and then filled over by other layers of good wet coats. The new primer did not activate anything, but the solvents in the sealer/base may have soaked in. It is really no big deal, but a typical issue when there is a great deal of fiberglass work.

The SLIME is just that, SLIME. It sprays smooth, and smells like soap. It is water soluable. The body shop uses it to spray all over a car when they are only spraying an individual panel and don't want to paper or tape the bulk of the vehicle.

All Corvettes Are BLACK...

:J Now all I gotta do is drive to Florida to check it out in person! :J

Lookin' good Bro' :upthumbs

_ken

Chris.
69MyWay looks fantastic. How much paint did you use of the base, clear and primer also how many coats of each?? It sure is nice to see your project progress. I had a estimate of three thousand to sand,prime and paint but he did not guarantee the paint.Is this common on a Vette ? Each body shop has their preference to brands of paints and within each brand are different grades of paint. As you stated Dupont Chroma Premier was the newest in paints.. Is there a chart or rating of paint within each manufacturer?
Thanks for the education and sharing of your knowledge.

Roy

Please educate me...

What is 'soak through' and how is it buffed out?
Sil

Roy,

I followed the complete Dupont Chroma system that included the sealer, base, and clear. The difference with the "premier" is that the base and even sealer is "activated" and dries as a result of a chemical reaction more than just exposure to air. That means that it is dry through and through, not just on the surface.

The typical Dupont clear requires only adding an activator. The premier included an activator and 30% reduction. Now a days, the paint manufatures are after "high solid" clear. In other words, they are thick, prefer a gravity fed gun, and very high air pressure to blow it out and break it up.

There are two full coats of base, and two full coats of clear. The plan has been to install the motor, etc. and get the car running. Then, prior to putting on the trim, blocking the whole thing down with 600, fixing any small parts I damage during the engine install, taping it up, then doing some candy/pearl ghost flames up out of the L88 hood and other small details. Then, I can shoot two more coats of clear on the whole. car. Not sure I am going this route, but it is an open option. Maybe by then, old gimpie right arm will be plenty strong.

Sil,

Soak through is just that. When the fresh paint material is applied to the surface and starts to soak into the outer surface, it may actually re activate the "dry" paint surface below.

If you have ever seen strange rings, or scratches in the surface of a freshly painted car, you have seen soak through. Also, sometimes you will see soak through where there has been some body filler or repair work. The fresh paint solvents will penetrate the primer and start breaking down the filler. This is at a microscopic level, but just enough to cause a visual imperfection that can't be felt. Sealer really helps prevent/reduce this. However, on fiberglass panels that have been worked on, there is a far higher risk of imperfections and problems than metal.

Beautiful dude! My jaw hit the ground when I scrolled down to your pic's. Looks like the 2,000 was well spent.

Jason

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom