Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A nice story.

• Thread starter Thread starter BoeingMan
  • Start date Start date
B

BoeingMan

Yesterday, after coming home from a 10 day trip worth of flying, I went to start my vette to take it out for a nice round of errand runs. As I turned the key, nothing happend. I emidiately looked at the top of my windsheild toward my radar detector. Darn it, I had left it on and It had drained my battery dry.

After jumping it with one of my other vehicles, I was off and running for my first stop. It was a short 10 minute drive to the office depot to purchase a replacement laptop that I really did need. I parked and went inside.

Anyway, after my lovely purchase, I again went to start my vette for the next errand on my list. As I turned the ignition, nothing. As it turned out, my battery had been so depleted by my radar detector that my quick 10 minute hop to the store had not been long enough to recharge my poor battery. Oh well. I hopped out of my car, walked back up to the front of the store, and proceeded to ask people for help with a set of jumper cables and 5 mns of their time.

After asking three people that unfortunatly weren't able to help, I happened to ask a father, still in his car with his adolecent son, if he could possibly lend me a hand. He says " sure I can which is your car ?" I reply, "It's the black vette right over there." To which the son blairs out with wide eyes and gusto, "Wow dad, you are sooooo lucky, you get to jump start a corvette."

....Priceless

Very cool indeed, that goes beyond "Priceless" that young boy will hopefully become one of us, the Corvette Faithful.

:D
I always love to see and hear kids' reactions to the Vette

10 day flying trip $2000

Radar detector $150

Laptop computer $800

Expression of a young lad that gets front row seats to the corvette show His Dad is in = priceless

Kids are priceless!!

Wouldn't it be great if, say, 10 years from now we read a post from a young man who explains the way he got the Corvette bug was by his "Dad jump starting a black one in the Office Depot parking lot."???
"That's all it took. I was hooked from that day on. I knew one day I would
definetly own a Corvette!"

Let's wait and see.

linkletterbk.jpg

Sometimes the kids have more taste than their parents. When we were on our trip to Mass. last month, I gave my 14 year old nephew his first Vette ride. He was so thrilled that he later said to his father (who has a couple of those German cars), "this is the car you need to get next" to which my brother-in-law replies, "the next car is going to be a Hybrid". Thats almost the same, right? I'll just have to make sure I help keep my nephew from any future contamination. :L

just happened to reread this post and thought it was so cool I had to bring this to the top again

Nice story ,Funny my lap top took a dump also and I have to order one today

Now as for your battery,

If its still the original I would suggest replaceing it.

I have an 02 that i purchased in may of 2002,car has only 11,000 mile on it.This summer we were taking it out for a car cruise and the battery was was stone dead. From reading on this forum it seams alot of 02 vettes lost ther batteries after 3 years

:D
kids' reactions are the best!!

Chrisr said:
Kids are priceless!!

Wouldn't it be great if, say, 10 years from now we read a post from a young man who explains the way he got the Corvette bug was by his "Dad jump starting a black one in the Office Depot parking lot."???

Let's wait and see.

What Chrisr said!

Neat story - thanks for sharing it.

My 13 year old niece was very excited when she learned I was picking her up from school one afternoon. Imagine her disappoinment when she realized I would have to bring the Explorer because her twin brother would need a place to sit too! :L I made it up to her the following week by picking her up ALONE after track practice in the Vette.

Speaking of 02's with dead batteries, I think I've told this story before, but I'll share my humiliation again.

Picture it. Just got my 02 Eblue Coupe. Had it about 2 weeks. Rinse the garage dust off at the car wash, fire her up, and pull out of the stall to wipe it off to take the wife for our first "night out in the new Vette". Looking cool wiping it down at the car wash while the ricemobiles gawk at my awesome ride. Take about 1 hour to get her perfect, hop in and...... 1 click and dead. No warning, no nothing. From peachy keen to dead in one hour.

Forgot cell phone. Had to borrow phone from nice kid in ricemobile. Crow beginning to taste crappy at this point. Wife arrives with cables. Follow process in manual for jump starting, wouldn't even jump. No codes, no clue what the hell was wrong. Thinking I got water somewhere I shouldn't have when washing. Looking decidely UNCOOL as I stand frowning while it is loaded on the flatbed towtruck.

That was this spring on an 02 with around 19,000 miles. No problems since. Turns out it was just a dead battery. Felt like a fool for having my car at the dealer for a flippin dead battery, but I was pretty nervous even touching anything under the hood at the time (all the electronics was intimidating), and I couldn't believe that it could have gone from starting up just fine to aboslutely stone dead (no dashlights, nothing, zero, nada) in a single hour, but it did. Still loving my beautiful ride that I've wanted since being a child, but I have to say it makes me a little anxious every time I get in and turn the key.

Chrisr said:
Kids are priceless!!

Let's wait and see.

That would be cool !

I get waves from lots of little boys. So fun, I always wave back, sometimes I blow kisses which either grosses them out (girl kooties) or they blow them back ha ha.

One time I thought I was the shnizit getting out of my shiny car with the top off, in front of a sidewalk cafe of snooty country club residents, my alarm goes off. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off for about 4 agonizing minutes.

Kids are the best! My 5 year old daughter Emily was quite perturbed today. It seems one of the boys at school told her that "Girls don't play with cars!".

All 3 of my wee ones LOVE cars!! I had to explain to her that girls can indeed play with cars. My wife pointed out that ironically, the girls probably have more toy cars than all the boys in Em's class combined! AHAHAA!!

Thank you for the story. It gave my face a grin!

...I hope you gave the kid a ride, or at least a chance to sit behind the wheel!
:Steer

I had to go through several batteries before I got the "Golden One". The factory battery was dead off the lot--got it replaced in a week--after having to get jumped in an Acura dealer's service drive. The replacement showed signs of bulging and leakage in a few months, so I went and got an Optima Red Top at Costco. That one wouldn't keep charged beyond 3 or 4 days.
All these batteries were probably the cause of all those Charge System Fault messages on the DIC.

The first Red Top got exchanged for a second and it seems that this one is "The One". No fault messages, starts up after a week just fine, with no Battery Tender required. Sometimes you gotta just keep trying...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom