Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A place for my spare roof

sgtrjs

Corvette
2001 Quicksilver coupe
My Corvette came with the dual roof option, which is nice, but it left me with the constant need to store one of the panels. I brought my C5 home in April and the silver top has been on 99% of the time, so the glass top has just been taking up room in the house. I recently did some remodeling and had some extra 2x4's laying around, so I decided to put them to good use. It isn't pretty, but it works (and it was free). Now I have somewhere to store my roof and not worry about damaging it. Take a look...

roofrack1.jpg
roofrack2.jpg

Now add some type of clip to hold the top in place and then mount the frame on the wall and you are all set :D

what you can use for "clip's" is one of those swimming pool styrofoam tubes that people use to float with I cut one up and used three piece's about eight inches long two for the bottom corner's and one for the center top. there hollow so you can slit the tube and it pushes right on. you can even match the color if you want.

There are holes in the base for the pins, so the bottom isn't going anywhere. As for the top, the weight is enough to keep it from falling over if it's bumped.

I thought about a wall mount system, but I didn't want it in the garage, and I have more than enough floor space in the basement. It will be tucked away where no one will ever need to worry about tripping over it.

I might add a way to use the built-in locks to secure it, but if I do that, then I need to make some alterations so that if the entire thing is knocked over, the roof panel does not hit the ground. It will be a long winter, maybe I'll do that. :D

Looks good! Great idea! :cool

I store mine next to my pinball machine on the carpet. However in the winter it goes back into the rear of the car since my red one stays on...

what you can use for "clip's" is one of those swimming pool styrofoam tubes that people use to float with I cut one up and used three piece's about eight inches long two for the bottom corner's and one for the center top. there hollow so you can slit the tube and it pushes right on. you can even match the color if you want.

Hey Bobsvette!!!

I like the pic of your '96...were is the back ground setting? Very nice!!

I just bought a cover and built a sturdy wall rack. (At my house, floor space is at a premium :) )

sparetop2.jpg

My buddy's a welder and made it out of square tubing. I'll try to remember to get a picture of it tonight. It's really stable. He got the idea from a wall hanger that available commercially (I forgot who sold it).

I keep mine in a closet in a spare bedroom, covered in a blanket.

mid america sells one its only so so and could be made easy if you have a welder

All you really need is a couple short pieces of 2x4. Use a 1/2" bit to drill shallow holes near the edge and then secure them to the wall, with the holes 39" apart. At the top, you just need something simple to keep it from falling over. There's nothing to it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom