Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A quick update

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
So after all of the fuss over the motor.(thank you all for your paitence and advice) And a real big thanks to Larry (vetterod) for taking the time to call on a motor builder for me.It seems I was going to make a large mistake and Larry was able to educate me why,anyways I decided to purchase a Gm crate motor 454HO. I really wanted a custom built motor for my excact car,but it seems with the schedule I wanted and the lack of knowledge on what I actually wanted it became clear I was heading for trouble. So on Thursday I pick up my motor.

I also have a Barry Grant speed demon 750 vacum secondairies electric choke Carb on its way.

I also finally found a supplier who can get me the old style simpson racing lap seat belts with the old style clasp on it.

My tranny is at the shop allmost ready for me to pick up.

I spent Saturday completing the welding for the rear bumper mounts (the SR111 Frame I purchased did not come with mounts front or rear) the front ones were easey.but the backs took some work as I had to box out an area to mount to.I have a little more work on them and then the suspention on the frame has to be disasembled and the frame has to be mounted on the rotisery and delivered to the painter on Monday morning.The color I chose on to paint the frame is a platnum silver off of a mercadies.

So I am back to work on the car.and it looks like the next time the car is on its frame it will be for the last time.Beside the reassembly I will still need

1-get the seats covered in leather, I Have to wait for an appointment after the car is back on its frame and carpets are installed
2-design and purchase the soft lines for the a/c sytem.I have to purchase the lines in a kit and then send them back to have the ends crimped on ,I have to wait untill the motor is in and the march performance pulleys are installed.
3-have a muffler shop bend up an exchaust ( I am going to try and have it come out in the stock location if possible) I also have to wait until the car is back on its frame with the motor installed.
4-have a drive shaft made for it.(this I tried to have done in the winter but the fellow said he want to build it once and wanted the car complete)Again he want the car complete.
5-rebuild and recover the convertable top and have installed on the car,this I can do with the seats.
6- figure a location for a fan style trans cooler after the mufflers are installed.

All of the above with the exception of the soft lines for the a/c system and the trans cooler are being done by others so I also have to deal with there schedules.

Parts I am waiting on beside the motor and trans.

Door panels (any day from knock)
march performance serpintine pulley system 2-3 weeks
Gulfstrand rear toe alignment kit (thanks Ken for the lead)
a couple of lokar cables.
Horn Button.

I was going to try and do the car with the an fittings and braided hoses but it seems there is going to be problems connecting them to the radiator and the water pump I have decided to go with the braided lines that use a standard hose clamp discised as an an fitting.

So it seems I may not be complete in time for carlilse but for sure I will try my best,If I have to Ill bring it in on the car trailer.

Larry,

I think that you will be glad you bought an off-the-shelf crate engine. An awful lot of bang for the buck, and a good warranty to boot. In my opinion, it just does not make sense to custom build a street engine with the selection of good crate engines out there. I wish I was going to see you at Carlisle, but I am having such problems with my ankle, that it just doesn't make any sense to drive almost 1800 miles just to sit in a lawn chair!

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:
Larry,

I think that you will be glad you bought an off-the-shelf crate engine. An awful lot of bang for the buck, and a good warranty to boot. In my opinion, it just does not make sense to custom build a street engine with the selection of good crate engines out there. I wish I was going to see you at Carlisle, but I am having such problems with my ankle, that it just doesn't make any sense to drive almost 1800 miles just to sit in a lawn chair!

Regards, John McGraw

John I will be in your neighborhood in January and we will meet up then.Take if from a guy whos been nursing 2 bad knees

Take it easey.Ice is wonderfull once you get thru the first 3 minutes.The majority of the time I am typing at night here I have a bag on each knee.

So fill us in on where your at with your car.I almost called you tonight to see what was up.

John Mcgraw said:
I wish I was going to see you at Carlisle, but I am having such problems with my ankle, that it just doesn't make any sense to drive almost 1800 miles just to sit in a lawn chair!

Regards, John McGraw

This is a big disappointment to me John as you are one of several people I was especially looking forward to meeting at Carlisle, but I understand what you are saying. 1800 miles is along way! Hope that ankle improves for you soon.

John Mcgraw said:
Larry,

Regards, John McGraw

PS John my wife said she is going to buy me a golf cart for my birthday while we are at carlilse this year.Ill let you use it

Larry,

The car is getting it's little finishing touches right now. All the trim is on except for the taillights. I thought they were in better shape than they really were, so I sent them out to the chrome shop. All the little undercar details are done, and I need to get it over to the shop for alingment in the next week or so. I am doing a lot of little touch-ups on the body, and should be through with all of them by the weekend. I had to rework my left quaterpanel this last weekend because when I went to test fit the tail light housings, it did not fit well! This was the quarter that was chrushed and I had to rebuild, and I thought the templates That I made from a friends car would assure a good fit, guess again! I ground down the glass and reshaped it and now the left light fits better than the right one does on the factory quarter! Got it painted this weekend, and just finished rubbing it out this evening.
You are going to think that I have lost my mind, but I actually cut open the rear crossmember last week and welded new mounts on for the rear bumperettes! The ones I fabricated looked fine until I mounted the bumperettes to them and them realized that the mounts were too visible under the rear of the car. The new mounts are recessed into the rear crossmember and look a world better. I got them all welded in and repainted, and you can't tell I was ever in there. I am going to try and get all the little under dash things finished in the next few days so I can get the seats installed. I am not going to put the seats in until I know that I am not going to need to go back under the dash again!

Regards, John McGraw

Larry, I hope I get a ride on your golfcart at Carlisle.... :lou

-Mac

John. You can rent an elec. cart right at the gate so you don't have to walk all day. I reserve one every time I go cause my knee can't take the walking. It's just not right to miss Corvette Carlilse

Larry
I was meaning to call you or PM you to hear how your knee was doing after we spoke last week.
I told you than and I'll mention it again, you really should give your knee a bit of a rest regardless of how hectic your work currently may be. It's important to your health which should take priority over everything else!

Glad to hear of the status on your car though and if you don't manage to get her done by Carlisle I'm sure it won't be from a lack of trying. i'm still amazed at all the progress you made in the time frame since you started actually working on this project and the delays you have encountered haven't been your fault. If it wasn't for them I bet you would be almost ready for that first fire.
I'm still betting we will see this car being driven into the gates of Carlisle under it's own power and you smiling like crazy as you drive her onto the field. :)

studiog said:
This is a big disappointment to me John as you are one of several people I was especially looking forward to meeting at Carlisle, but I understand what you are saying. 1800 miles is along way! Hope that ankle improves for you soon.

I agree!!
I was looking forward to meeting you and seeing that beautiful car also this year John.
I hope your ankle improves so you can make the trip. Besides, you KNOW you can't wait to show off that car to everyone. :)

IH2LOSE said:
PS John my wife said she is going to buy me a golf cart for my birthday while we are at carlilse this year.Ill let you use it

Larry, that's a GREAT idea from your wife! :beer
Are you going to get one of the "themed" golf carts? They make them that look like various cars including Vettes!
I can see you know in a C1 themed golf carts although I can imagine it won't be long before you swap out the little electric motor in it for a crate motor - might as well order that second motor at the same time you call to order the 454 for your car. A big block may be a bit much for a golf cart but maybe a hot SB like a ZZ383 stroker with around 500hp. We'll see you tearing up the field at Carlisle in your bright yellow golf cart with flames shooting out of the sidepipes and John in the passenger seat just trying to hold on for dear life

:gap

vette said:
John. You can rent an elec. cart right at the gate so you don't have to walk all day. I reserve one every time I go cause my knee can't take the walking. It's just not right to miss Corvette Carlilse

I used to get a golf cart,a couple years back they switched to these little moterised wheel chairs/mr mobilities and I know this will be what I ll have to deal with in my future and just wont ride in one.(plus they look un cool) This will be my first year ever I dont have to go thru the swap meet hunting for parts. As I have all my needed parts for my 66 and there is nothing I need for the 62 I would find at carlilse.I will be able to just sit and relax and go thru the show feild.

Larry, Here is the full line of latch and link Simpson belts right off of their site. You can order direct.

Simpson

Glad to hear everything is falling into place for you Larry. 67Heaven can tell you how crate engines perform!:upthumbs . You've gone this far through all your different problems so don't kill yourself just trying to be ready for Carlisle, take your time and do it right (the way you want it), not under undo pressure from deadlines. Heck knows you deserve to have the rest of your restoration go smoothly, you of all people deserve that after the last few months you've had. Please keep us posted and post pics as you go, we're all interested on your progress and are happy you're moving forward although , as most restorations go, over budget.;) . Sounds like she's going to be a beauty when shes done!
Take care Larry, watch those knees as you've got a lot of over the hood hours coming up! See you for sure at Carlisle my friend!
Doug

Are you recovering your original seats? If so Al Knock has special leather covers for C1 seats that look like original. In the catagory drop down click on Special Leather Interiors and put 1962 in the year box. They aren't cheap but it will be exact and you can use them to price shop your trim guy.

Al Knock

IH2LOSE said:
I used to get a golf cart,a couple years back they switched to these little moterised wheel chairs/mr mobilities and I know this will be what I ll have to deal with in my future and just wont ride in one.(plus they look un cool).
Larry, my neighbor has major knee problems and she just got an electric scooter, it is really cool. Very maneuverable and nimble. Does 15MPH is light weight and has a basket on the back to carry your beer :)
Her teenage kids are always steeling it to joy ride through the neighborhood.

Larry, I agree.
Those little scooters aren't uncool at all.
Last year at Carlisle I saw some people using them and to be honest, I wished I had rented a couple myself for my wife and I. With all the walking up and down the vendor isles and all over the field looking at cars in that outrageous heat I'd would have loved doing it from the seat of a scooter rather than the effort of walking. The heat was so bad my wife almost passed out at one point so I'd take "scootin along" over walking anytime. Besides the fact i'm just a lazy SOB.

Of course, if you are really getting a golf cart from your wife while you are there that would be even cooler :) I know as soon as you get it home you are going to paint it yellow to match your Vettes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom