Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A quick update

Here is my week end update. I have my frame back and its now silver.I am in the process of putting the suspention back on it.Today I set the motor in it and it seems its too far foward by about 1/2 of an inch for the March Performance pully system I want to use. I had a freinds motor in the frame with no crank in it to test fit every thing.I had taken some measurements off of my 66 to see how far out the Harmonic balancer came out and I guess I was wrong.The pulley for the March system sticks off the face of the Harmonic Balancer 3.5 inches I have excatly 3" So I am short a 1/2" I think I can send the motor back 3/4 of an inch and still have enough room for the distributor to go in and out with out having to mess with the firewall. All this means,that I will have to set the body on the frame temporarorly to make sure I have the room,prior to re doing the frame mounts for the motor. ( Ill have to do some welding so Ill be repainting the frame in this area also)

I just knew once I painted the frame something was going to crop up and it did.

49663235-f60e-02000180-.jpg

http://www.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/app.pl/albums/large_image_view?id=3419378&link_code=sa01_17

Another minor set back ,But this one is myfault for not being more carefull with measurements,Seams like an easey fix(with the exeption of the Re-painting) as long as i have that 3/4 of an inch

The photo below is where the motor sits now.this is looking from the driver side towards the passenger side ,I smoothed the firewall so I no longer have the seam in the fire wall.Any one with a 62 I could use a measurement to see how far that seams actually sticks out.

39731843-e192-02000155-.jpg

motor mounts

Hello Larry
This may be a long shot, but are your motor mounts symetrical? What I mean, is would it make a difference if you put the left one on the right side and the right on the left. I don't know what your mounts look like, but it may be worth checking.
I am asking, since I got into this once on something once, but that is a long story and an even longer time ago
Tom
your frame and motor paint job looks fantastic

henny496 said:
Hello Larry
This may be a long shot, but are your motor mounts symetrical? What I mean, is would it make a difference if you put the left one on the right side and the right on the left. I don't know what your mounts look like, but it may be worth checking.
I am asking, since I got into this once on something once, but that is a long story and an even longer time ago
Tom
your frame and motor paint job looks fantastic

Thanks for the comment,

No such luck as them being reversable. I made a quick motor mount out of cardbord and I can quickley make a set out of steel that would offset me back far enough.

What happend to a cars drivability if it has solid motor mounts in it.Do the mounts remove alot of vibration?

Larry,

Aren't you glad that you didn't order that drive shaft yet?:beer

motor mounts

Hello Larry
The noise level will go up with solid mounts. E-mail me if you want, since I have to make a set up up for that '58 I was talking to you about
take care
Tom

motor mounts

Hello Larry
I should of said that the noise level goes up "inside" the car. It does not make the car louder, it just resonates throughout the interior of the car more.
take care
Tom
My car has motor plates and I am thinking of putting a small thin pieces of rubber between the mts and the frame

A little rubber will isolate a lot of vibration.

IH2LOSE,

What car is this going in? Is that an oil filler tube?

looks good.

Tim :beer

vette rod said:
Looks great Larry and remember if it's not close your not trying!!!! :beer

www.pugesekmotorsports.com

Yup your correct,next one I build will have to have a bigger engine bay.I am realley at all of my limits here with this build,this pulley set was an easey fix to save me from having to source pulleys and brackets,but boy I am paying for it now in trying to squezze it all in.

Hows this for tight

49816413-1627-02000180-.jpg

I am going to have to go into work tomorow to fabercate a spacer plate to go under the motor mount to raise the motor up about 1/4 to 3/8 th of an inch.

I absolutely love the Pulley set its a real high quaility part,

49816416-3ed5-02000180-.jpg

Beside my problems with resetting the motor,I seen this rear toe kit on an fellows web site (Kens) and just had to have it ,Now I need Johns McGraws advice as to weather its going to cause clearance problems in the rear area

49816334-8299-02000180-.jpg

49816335-c4bc-02000180-.jpg

I have to tell you guys ever since John enlightened me on polishing I just love the looks of raw metal especially aluminum.

If I wasnt so lazy and behind schedule I would polish my rear end

Larry, everything looks great, but that motor is beautiful! the yellow and the chrome looks really nice together and the stripes on the valve covers look cool.

Is that a March pulley set? WOW that's nice.

I really can't wait to see this car at Carlisle this year :beer

:beer <<<<-------------- I owe you a few rounds at Carlisle too.

Tom Bryant said:
A little rubber will isolate a lot of vibration.
This just begs for a witty come-back but I'm feeling benevolent today... :D

-Mac

Larry,

Whether it clears kind of depends on how far into the spare tire compartment You cut. I did not use Mike's template and panel, I just made my own mold and cut it out to give plenty of clearance at the rear end. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just lost the spare tire compartment completely and Z cut the rear crossmember so that I could have tucked the pipes up into the rear valance kind of like a C5. Billy Dawson uses that same type of link, and I don't recall him having any close clearances. That sure does space out a little though.

Regards, John McGraw

Larry,

Those rear end center sections are damn near inpossible to get a decent shine on anyway! They are by far the most work of any part on the car, and they dont shine that good when polished. They are cast from a material that leaves a kind of a grey tone to when polished, not bright and shiney like all the forged parts. I think that I am going to powdercoat the suspension pieces on the 65 project with the chrome powdercoat.

Larry,

It looks beautiful!
Your car will be stunning both outside and under the hood!

Best regards,
Pedro:beer

IH2LOSE said:
49816416-3ed5-02000180-.jpg

I have to tell you guys ever since John enlightened me on polishing I just love the looks of raw metal especially aluminum.

Again thank you all or the kind and engouraging words,Today (11 hours) I spent relocating my motor.I spent 2 of the hours making 1/4" motor plate to raise the motor up.only to find out 1/4 was too much and it would not settle back into the motor mounts.So I had to remake them to 3/16th and it worked perfect.after all was said and done the motor was moved rear ward only 3/8th of an inch. so it should not create any other problems with the firewall or shifter.

I was able to measure for my drive shaft today (Yes John I am thriled I did not order it before) so I will order it on monday from them. Tomorow I will be assembling my suspention peices and getting every thing ready for the final body drop next week end

Larry,

It is amazing how many hours you can spend on the little detail items! It is the the old 80/20 rule, You get 80% completion with 20% of the time, and them expend 80% of the time getting that last 20% finished!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom