Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A real Pace Car, Opinions Welcomed

Now that is one hell of a pace car.

I've always liked the '78 Pace Car since it came-out (my Dad was selling them at the time, and I washed/detailed several for delivery back-then ), and an very-fond of the '08 Pace Car replica, too:

2008+Indy+Pacecar+001.jpg

Even-though I'm a life-long Pixburgh Stillers fan, I've always liked Black & Silver (Oakland Raiders ) together, and thought Dale Earnhardt's cars were the best-looking on the track.

Dale_Earnhardt_96.jpg

I'd love to have my all-Black '82 painted two-tone (Silver on-bottom ) like a '78 Pace Car with the Red pinstriping (without all the decals, of-course ), but I think my fiancee would skin me-alive if I did (she likes it all-Black )

HPIM0107.jpg

On another note...I called the place that has the engine I want (Tommy Johnsons Motorsports Warehouse, Denver, NC). Turns out they have what sounds like one heck of a deal. They have a 384 CID ready to go. Turns out this engine was built by Vaseleniuck Engine Development. Theses guys build engines for NASCAR, BUSCH, and Pro Series race teams. Reading their Bio looks like they have been in the business for 40+ years. I know that Denver, NC is one of the hotbeds for NASCAR teams. From what I gather this engine was a joint venture between EdelBrock and Vaseleniuck. The engine is as follows:

1. Dyno: 420/457 HP/TQ
2. Block completely redone, stress honed, bored .040 over, magna fluxed, 4-bolt mains.
3. Crank: SCAT 3.75 stroke cast.
4. Rods: SCAT 6.000" forged
5. Pistons: KB Hyperutectic
6. Rings: Hastings Moly Race
7. Bearings: ACL Race series
8. Cam: EdelBrock 7102 flat tappet 234/244
9. Heads: EdelBrock 60989 Vortec
10. Intake: EdelBrock Performer RPM
11. Carb: EdelBrock 1405 600 CFM (I bet a 750 CFM would get this upto 450 ponies)
12. Rocker Arms: Proform 1.5:1 Roller Rockers
13. Distributor: Proform

MAX HP/RPM on current setup: 750/7500 RPM

Price: $5100 out the door, starter, wires, looms included.

So what do you guys think? Anyone ever hear of either of these guys? Like I said I know that Denver, NC is NASCAR country and if there is such a thing as a NASCAR Skunk Works, Denver and Charlotte, NC is where you would look to find it. I know that EdelBrock is trying to get into the crate engine department. This engine sounds like it may have been a test mule.

:w
HD

..... maybe it's just-me..... but I'd be scared-sh!tless to spin a cast-crank motor to 7500 RPM.....
:ohnoes

I've always liked the '78 Pace Car since it came-out (my Dad was selling them at the time, and I washed/detailed several for delivery back-then ), and an very-fond of the '08 Pace Car replica, too:

Even-though I'm a life-long Pixburgh Stillers fan, I've always liked Black & Silver (Oakland Raiders ) together, and thought Dale Earnhardt's cars were the best-looking on the track.

I'd love to have my all-Black '82 painted two-tone (Silver on-bottom ) like a '78 Pace Car with the Red pinstriping (without all the decals, of-course ), but I think my fiancee would skin me-alive if I did (she likes it all-Black )

..... maybe it's just-me..... but I'd be scared-sh!tless to spin a cast-crank motor to 7500 RPM.....
:ohnoes

The reason I like the '78 PC is that not only are they the 25th anniversary model, but also a PC replica with their very own VIN. I was born the year the corvette was introduced. So this car represents several milestones in my life. First, I had just finished my tour in the Navy (Nov. 11, 1977), second, 1978 was a great year for me and yes I've always wanted one ever since. Just didn't make enough to buy one. Now that I have one I would like to give it a little help in the pony department. This car is a blast to drive. I get more "Cool car" looks and comments with it than the Z-06 does.

At 7500 RPM I'd be a bit more worried about a valve train flying apart then the crank. Of course I don't intend to see if it will in fact turn that fast.

Happy New Year :beer

HD

I hear that. Hopefully John is listening here. Yes, I would be happy to be done also by August. I'll be running around for dyno tuning around then ;)

Len, Todd,
Thanks very much for thinking of me and inviting me to go down and help you guys. I would LOVE to go - I've never seen and engine replacement, let alone had the opportunity to actually help out and learn from 2 extremely talented and knowlegeable guys like yourselves - but I just don't have the time.

As you both know (I think) I was laid off from HP last December and I'm now on my 2nd job since then. My current employer wouldn't budge on the vacation time negotiations due to company policy. They're paying me very well though so I can't complain, and I'm VERY happy to be where I am.

Like I said, I'd LOVE to go, but I just can't possibly do it this year.

Len, that sounds like one heck of a deal on the 384 engine from by Vaseleniuck Engine Development. I've often thought of doing something similar with the LT-1 since that (LT-1) engine is what make my car fairly unique. I'd really hate to trash it.

Keep us updated on your decision, and when you guys actually do the project take plenty of pictures - PLEASE!

It was good to hear from you both. I wish you both, and everyone here on the CAC a Happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

-John

John,
sorry to hear the news about the job situation. I've come to the conclusion in my life that there are 2 folks you have to keep happy. Number one is the wife, number two is the boss. I work so I can support my toys. So keeping the boss happen ensures that you have a job.

Maybe you can get that Friday off to come down to Carlisle in August. Todd made it last year and we had a great time. I think the bug has bitten him cause he keeps saying that he has a statement to make this year. So this year should be a good time. The 30 year reunion of the '78 Pace Car and my bet is that we will get to see the new ZR-1. So we already know which vette I'll be taking;).

If having a numbers matching engine wasn't such a big deal I would have left well enough alone. But since it is such a big deal and I really love driving this car I think what I am about to do is the best answer. Plus taking advantage of the new technology that is being pumped into these new engines should make this car what it should have been in the first place. A very capable, Rice kicking, Mustang spanking street machine:D.

I'll make sure to take lots of pics. I'm going to make a binder showing the process as well.

Take care buddy and don't wait too long to make a trip down this way.

Heres wishing you a very healthy, prosperous New Year as well and tell the wife I said hello:).

HD

John,

Take care buddy and don't wait too long to make a trip down this way.

Heres wishing you a very healthy, prosperous New Year as well and tell the wife I said hello:).

HD

Here, Here :beer I second that John. I will see you in Shrewsbury anyway this year if not sooner.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom