Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Shorter, Narrower C6

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From Automotive News:

(08:23 June 25, 2002)
GM hopes shorter, narrower Corvette will win more buyers in Europe

By RICK KRANZ
Automotive News

LE MANS, France -- General Motors will make its American-bred sports car, the Chevrolet Corvette, shorter and narrower to boost European sales.

In recent clinics, German Corvette owners said that they prefer a smaller car, said Dave Hill, the sports car's vehicle line executive. They also disliked the plastic in the passenger cabin.

"They want a car that is more compact on the outside," Hill said. "Of course, Americans don't want to give up anything on the inside."

The new Corvette, due in summer 2004 "is going to be a little bit narrower and quite a bit shorter" than the current car, he said. But it will be "just as accommodating on the inside." He declined to specify the new dimensions.

The 2002 Corvette is 179.7 inches long and 73.6 inches wide - 8.7 inches longer and 3.5 inches wider than the 2002 Porsche Boxster, for instance.

Corvette's sales in Europe are relatively small: about 1,200 annually, about 75 percent of them in Germany. Hill sees more sales opportunities in Switzerland, France, Italy and Spain. He did not say how much GM hopes to boost Corvette sales in Europe.

Chevrolet sold 31,208 Corvettes last year in the United States.

Hill said Corvette owners in Germany criticized the current Corvette's interior, which uses plastic finishes commonly found in family sedans. Full-sized images of the new car were shown to Corvette owners in Germany.

"While the current Corvette is a huge jump from the car that preceded it, it has frankly not kept up," Hill said. "Others have overtaken it, particularly Audi and Porsche. They have more apparent richness in the interior.

"We are going to leapfrog what we have done, and we're going to have an interior that has more attention to detail, more money devoted to it."

He added: "If we make the car better for the European market than it is today, then we will be rewarded by plus business. And if we do it skillfully, we won't lose any of the fascination that the Corvette has in the States."

I'm confused...

These are quotes from the latest AutoWeek magazine article:

The curb weight should stay about the same, at 3200 pounds.

Combining both soft curves and machined edges, the car is about the same length as the C5, which is 179.7 inches long.

The C6’s greenhouse stretches to the top of the tail, making the C6 coupe look smaller, though it’s expected to ride on essentially the same 104.5-inch wheelbase.

This article says it's going to be narrower and shorter. Who's right?

Full-sized images of the new car were shown to Corvette owners in Germany.

Why do they get to see it but US owners don't?

Barb :w

i hope its smaller

my dad is a porshe fan, and i love vettes, and basically the only advantage a porshe has over a vette is its size, it makes it much better at cornering nd give it a better jump if ur racing a smaller vette would be able to compete with the porshe in the little competition my dad and i have going

I just got the new Road & track and it says that the C6 will be slightly shorter, but have a longer wheelbase of 105.7-in. The overhangs in the front and rear will be shorter. The LS1 will evolve into the Gen IV LS1 with an output of over 380 hp.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom