Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Solution to the C6 Front Plate Dilemma?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
I was chatting with someone last weekend at Carlisle and we got on the discussion of the C6 front license plate. He was telling me that he has a friend who has a Ferrari Enzo and he is forced to have a front license plate on the car which looks horrible.

He found some company that makes a retractable front license plate system. It supposedly uses servos and small arms. When the car is turned off, the front license plate is retracted and pulled inside the front grill out of sight.

When the car is started, the front license plate extends out of the grill and pops up in front of the bumper. The owner's justification for this system is that, when the car is parked, he doesn't want to see the license plate which destroys the overall beauty of the car.

When he's sitting inside of the car, he can't see the front bumper so it doesn't matter. :L :L

Rob said:
He was telling me that he has a friend who has a Ferrari Enzo ... a retractable front license plate system.

Bond... James Bond.

• Admin
Fishman said:
Bond... James Bond.
:L

I never even thought of that....now if only I could convince GM Engineers to mount a low-weight, hidden Gatling gun under the C6's front bumper, I'd be in a Chevy showroom putting down my deposit right now.

It would make my morning commute to work much quicker and that much more enjoyable!

I could just see it now....mount the firing switch on top of the stick shift...."alright lady, you have exactly 10 seconds to move that heap out of the left lane before I blow your rear bumper into the median strip!"

Here's what it would look like on the dealer order sheet:

RPO GUN: High Intensity Discharge Element (HIDE)

I've got it all figured out. ;LOL

The only problem with that is I've already got a ticket while parked with no front plate. There's got to be a better way.....

Those license plate retractors are sold primarily for hot rods. Can't think of the shops right now, but check some magazines. I know I've seen them.
Bruce
PS In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open and post back when I find the source. Just don't tell them it's for a Corvette and the price shouldn't be too bad.

I looked at a C6 several nights ago, and think the least worse compromise may be to simply fabricate a bracket which enables the plate to be mounted lower and partially over the grill opening. I suspect there is really not much (if any) adverse effect on cooling, given the capacities of most cars' systems.

am I the only one who will just pay the ticket for not having the plate and be done with it. Really, cops are only going to nail you for that if they pull you over and are dickheads to them.

Greenie said:
Well Rob, if everyone moved to Pa...................! LOL
Traffic is bad enough in PA. Not to mention that there are already an abundance of left lane lovers here. Although a few more would really make a difference I still hate them. I always feel bad passing them in the right lane.

Neat Idea For Sure!!!!!!!

Pretty neat web site, I would sure try to mount something like this before I would diplay in all the time. Lucky I live in Indiana where front plates are not required, one of the few things good about good old Indiana, winter sure sucks and I have to put my C-5 up for about 4 or 5 months. One day it may just go south with me! But looking at this retractable plate thingy even though it's neat don't know where you would mount it on the front of a C-5 or any Vette for that matter, sure would be too low underneath and there is no room in the fog light area for something this size. Neat idea but where would you install it???????

Later,
Bill :confused

C6BOB said:
Here's the link. I'm not sure where it could be mounted.
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/1485

I agree with Bill above, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to mount it. I don't have the front plate on my hardtop and have to eat a $100 ticket once or twice a year. I've always gotten these from the meter maids at a parking meter. Never from a cop in a car or mc. Even the CHP that nailed me for 35 over the limit on the freeway cut me a husk on no plate.

Joe Vette said:
The only problem with that is I've already got a ticket while parked with no front plate. There's got to be a better way.....

I also got a ticket and went to court and made a monkey out of the cop and the case was dismissed without court costs...but I then did put the front tag on because I know the ahole cop will be looking for me with no tag.....:L

MorgulVette said:
am I the only one who will just pay the ticket for not having the plate and be done with it. Really, cops are only going to nail you for that if they pull you over and are dickheads to them.
I totally disagree...I was so perfect with the bastich cop that pulled me over and he still gave me a ticket...:L

Chris Kennedy said:
I looked at a C6 several nights ago, and think the least worse compromise may be to simply fabricate a bracket which enables the plate to be mounted lower and partially over the grill opening. I suspect there is really not much (if any) adverse effect on cooling, given the capacities of most cars' systems.
==========================================================
It has already been done and posted on the CorvetteForum and I think it looks great...I think it costs around $66 but is so well worth it...It really solves the "fugly" problem that now exists...at least till GM changes it for next year and everyone retrofits the new bumper;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom