Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: about injectors

JOHNNYB

Corvette
1989 DARK MET. BLUE COUPE
i tested the ohms on my injectors for the hell of it yesterday and they all read 16.7ohms accept cylinder #3 which is 4.7ohms so im assuming that one is bad but i read on another thread that the l98 engine is a bank fire engine and if one injector is bad then that whole side of the engine doesn't fire. is that correct? seems odd because it doesn't seem to match up with firing order for it to be bank fire?
thank you for any replys:beer

My #7 Injector was shorted 3.2 ohms. It would start but then shut down and would not restart. I just replaced all 8 injectors and my car runs like it did 20 years ago. Contact Jon at Fuel Injection Connection and he will hook you up.

Fuel Injector Connection

i read on another thread that the l98 engine is a bank fire engine and if one injector is bad then that whole side of the engine doesn't fire. is that correct? seems odd because it doesn't seem to match up with firing order for it to be bank fire?
Nothing to do with firing order.
All injectors on one side ( bank ) fire at same time; all injectors in each bank are controlled by one wire back to ECM which is why there are two injector fuses in the fuse box
One bad injector will cause the ECM to shut down that whole bank as ECM protection

My #7 Injector was shorted 3.2 ohms. It would start but then shut down and would not restart. I just replaced all 8 injectors and my car runs like it did 20 years ago. Contact Jon at Fuel Injection Connection and he will hook you up.

Fuel Injector Connection

sweet thanks, what injectors did you go with and how many lbs 22 or 24? those bosch blue demons look pretty good and for $169 sounds good deal to

Just for the record, there are two fuses but only one drive circuit in the ECM. All eight injectors are energized at the same time.

Nothing to do with firing order.
All injectors on one side ( bank ) fire at same time; all injectors in each bank are controlled by one wire back to ECM which is why there are two injector fuses in the fuse box
One bad injector will cause the ECM to shut down that whole bank as ECM protection

ok thanks that makes sense but it the car seems to run ok and i can hear the other injectors on that side firing but like i said cyliner #3 injector definitely has a 4.8ohm reading and all the rest are 16.7ohms :confused:Wdo you think it would make sense to just change that one or should i do them all?

The general consensus is to change them all on the theory that if one has failed the others aren't far behind. Also, the work required to change one is the same as the work required to change eight! I can highly recommend the Bosch Design III injectors from FIC.

Just call FIC and ask for Jon. He well help you out. I talked to him on a thursday morning and i had my new injectors 2 days later. They are the best.

CORVETTE_INJECTORS 004.jpg

ok thanks that makes sense but it the car seems to run ok and i can hear the other injectors on that side firing but like i said cyliner #3 injector definitely has a 4.8ohm reading and all the rest are 16.7ohms :confused:Wdo you think it would make sense to just change that one or should i do them all?

If it's in a location where you can replace it without taking the TPI runners apart I would just change the one. Changing all eight on a TPI car is a pain in the AZZ!

On an L98 you can not change and injector without taking the plenum off. and to get it back on you need to take one side runners lose.
Unless completely shorted out a bad injector does not always shut down one side , mine ran for months with two bad injectors. About 4 ohms and 7 ohms . I did replace 2 injectors and in less than a yr I had another go bad, so replaced all .
I too contacted Jon at FIC excellent results. The diff with the Bosch III injectors is near impossible to describe .

Glenn
:w

I agree with Glenn...nearly same amount of work to change them all, Jon was awesome at FIC, and as Glenn said, nearly impossible to describe, the Bosch III's are a GREAT deal!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom