Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

About to Order a new 427 Convertible

ThrottleUp

Have a question about the Carbon Package that is available (Option CFZ).

It's pricey ($2,995 MSRP) but looks good. As I understand, it's functionality is from two functions; lighter in weight than the standard, and aerodynamic downforce. The trade-off other than the price is it looks like it will scrape even more than on my Grand Sport!

Does anyone have experience with the other Carbon splitters offered on the Z06 and ZR1 as to how prone to damage they are?

How about their functionality?

The standard models (Base, Grand Sport) don't even come with side skirts so I can't see how the CFZ would reduce weight, and it's hard to believe the splitter weighs less than the standard rubber one on my Grand sport. Does anyone know?

Do the skirts offer more focused downforce or is it lateral push to keep the car straight? And what sort of speed do you need to be going before the splitter's downforce becomes significant?

Sorry if this has been discussed here before but I searched and couldn't find anything current.

Thanks your thoughts, I don't plan to track the car other than low-speed autocross, so otherwise it's just a daily driver.

;shrug

I understand that the replacement cost for the splitter and side skirts cost a whole lot more than $2999.00 if you need to replace all of them on the ZR1.
You need to be carefull entering and exiting the car so as to not bump or step on the side skirts.
You can get used to it real quickly, but you need to remind "guests" to not scrape or step on them. It only takes one time. :ugh

I understand that the replacement cost for the splitter and side skirts cost a whole lot more than $2999.00 if you need to replace all of them on the ZR1.
You need to be carefull entering and exiting the car so as to not bump or step on the side skirts.
You can get used to it real quickly, but you need to remind "guests" to not scrape or step on them. It only takes one time. :ugh

thanks for the practical advise......it's food for thought ........ I wonder at what speed the pieces begin to work and actually help reduce the car's drag and increase downward pounds.... you would think at some point chevy has announced this, but I've googled for it and didn't find it yet...;shrug

We have Z07 and B92 on a '12 Z06 and that got us all the CF pieces including the splitter.

You have to be careful when parking in lots with parking chocks and we need to be carful coming out or going in driveways with steep approaches, however, we've owned the car about a month and I'm happy to say that the splittler has been less of a problem than I thought it would be.

It is true if I f$%k the darn thing up, I'll regret it because they cost a boatload of money to replace.

For now, we drive the car pretty much like we do our Corvettes.

As for functionality....they are only functional at speeds far higher than most convertible owners are going to drive.

I can't speak to the weights of the various pieces as I've not removed and weighed them.

Ok, I guess that CFZ package may not be for me at this time then (this whole car purchase for me at this time is a kind of bittersweet event anyway, but that's another story!) ..... I usually keep to the less costly options on these cars unless they really do something that I want or need (with emphasis on "want" :D)..... now if they offered the Brembo ceramic brakes and the PTM and optional "enhanced cooling"..... I'd be all over that! Kind of odd Chevy doesn't make these things available because they could make a few extra bucks and I'm probably not the only one who would tick off the option box on them. oh well, guess that's why they make the big bucks and know better than me :BOW

Congratulations on your purchase, ThrottleUp.

When do you expect to get delivery? Hope it is soon. We have a friend who has had his pushed back a week or so - now into July.

Congratulations on your purchase, ThrottleUp.

When do you expect to get delivery? Hope it is soon. We have a friend who has had his pushed back a week or so - now into July.

67Vet, wish I could say it's soon but, I'm afraid my order will be taking a long time to build because the dealer's estimate was the first week in August. :ugh I can only speculate though.....

Because I only submitted the order to the dealer yesterday, he entered the order into the system with his available allocation today, and I expect the system will accept the order tomorrow. Not sure how long after the order is accepted they post a TPW, but I'm trying to manage my expectation by assuming the order won't built until mid-August. :eyerole

Since I'm supposed to do a Museum Delivery, it's going to be touch and go whether I can do the factory tour portion due to the typical 2 week hold the Museum imposes on their cars after they are built! :cry

Stripe on 427 Corvette. :w

Attachments

• 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 145
Can't say too much about the carbon fibre option - yet - as we've only had our 427 60th 4 days now. But, it appears to not be an issue where and how we drive. Where we brushed the road in the past with the air dam on the old C6, we slow down a bit more and the splitter does not seem to be rubbing.

We like the way it looks on the car and since we wanted the '60th' version, we got it anyway.

The ground-effects side pieces to seem to collect dirt and will need to be cleaned regularly - then again, we wash the car regularly anyway.

The Z25/Z30 cars come with all the bells and whistles.

Congratulations on your new "ordered" 427 Vert. I'm sure you'll love it

Well I placed the order June 5, just received by TPW last week and am told it's 8/6. Am working out the museum delivery schedule now so can book flights hotels etc :happyanim:

oh yeah I'm NOT going to get excited......... yet ...... right !!

My wife just took delivery of her Blue 427 (VIN 0056) Vert with the carbon package. Two weeks in and she hasn't touched it to an obstruction (yet). It is less obtrusive then the one on my Roush Mustang, and I have had that for two years without a scratch. So it is very possible to get be aware it is there and keep it in good order. BUT, if you don't dig the looks or will always be concerned about the cost of replacement, then I would pass it by. The downforce requires high speeds (like on a track).

My wife just took delivery of her Blue 427 (VIN 0056) Vert with the carbon package. Two weeks in and she hasn't touched it to an obstruction (yet). It is less obtrusive then the one on my Roush Mustang, and I have had that for two years without a scratch. So it is very possible to get be aware it is there and keep it in good order. BUT, if you don't dig the looks or will always be concerned about the cost of replacement, then I would pass it by. The downforce requires high speeds (like on a track).

Your wife sounds like she knows what she wants..... and gets it! :L Congratulations on that sweet ride, hope shes putting the miles on. I could hardly get my ex-gf to ride in my last one with the top down cause of the "mess up my hair" issue..... you're a lucky man :chuckle

I finally didn't choose the carbon package, guess I just didn't feel it. :eyerole Eventually I may add a non-carbon Katech or somebody's front splitter but for now I'm just thinking about getting the garage ready with odds and ends I still haven't got, and hanging more stuff from the walls to make more room on the floor!

I'm really missing my old GS, and am missing the Vette club's activities since I feel now I don't "qualify" since no Vette in garage!! :ugh Just driving my old 2005 CTS, those caddy's are really well thought out!

Post some pics when you get a chance....... would like to see all your from your stable actually, your mustang lust makes me reminisce about my '69 Mach I Cobra Jet. (torque torque torque) :thumb

67Vet, wish I could say it's soon but, I'm afraid my order will be taking a long time to build because the dealer's estimate was the first week in August. :ugh I can only speculate though.....

Because I only submitted the order to the dealer yesterday, he entered the order into the system with his available allocation today, and I expect the system will accept the order tomorrow. Not sure how long after the order is accepted they post a TPW, but I'm trying to manage my expectation by assuming the order won't built until mid-August. :eyerole

Since I'm supposed to do a Museum Delivery, it's going to be touch and go whether I can do the factory tour portion due to the typical 2 week hold the Museum imposes on their cars after they are built! :cry

I wonder why it will take so long to get into production. I was in BG last week, and the line was full of them, and there were six or seven waiting to be picked up at the museum.

I wonder why it will take so long to get into production. I was in BG last week, and the line was full of them, and there were six or seven waiting to be picked up at the museum.

Catbert it's a good question, and I read that they are working 11 hour days now too. But apparently the orders from dealers were creeping in and then I found out the factory workers that buildl the cars have the month of July off. That pretty much means that all the accumulated orders that couldn't be built in July get postponed to begin the process August 1. I did find-out that the parts and supplier operations continue during July so that the production control people have absolutely no problem making that line hum with no delay (unless a worker flags an issue on the run) after they begin working in August again.

I'm just trying to stop concentrate on not thinking about it so much (yeah right)...... :L

Where you at BG for other business or on a tour? picking-up a car? I see right now on the webcam that a number of the cars they had last week are gone now, so can see the museum keeps delivering a good number of new Vettes.... :thumb

Catbert it's a good question, and I read that they are working 11 hour days now too. But apparently the orders from dealers were creeping in and then I found out the factory workers that buildl the cars have the month of July off. That pretty much means that all the accumulated orders that couldn't be built in July get postponed to begin the process August 1. I did find-out that the parts and supplier operations continue during July so that the production control people have absolutely no problem making that line hum with no delay (unless a worker flags an issue on the run) after they begin working in August again. I'm just trying to stop concentrate on not thinking about it so much (yeah right)...... :L Where you at BG for other business or on a tour? picking-up a car? I see right now on the webcam that a number of the cars they had last week are gone now, so can see the museum keeps delivering a good number of new Vettes.... :thumb
I was in Bowling Green for the Corvette Action Center CruiseFest. The plant is working extended hours, but only a 4 day week. GM is trying to avoid the overproduction that killed dealer/corporate profits for the past couple years - even at the miserable rate of sales for the past few years. I suspect they don't want to knock 10 grand off sticker AND zero percent financing anytime soon. That was the going rate for the last couple months of 2012 sales at the big Vette dealers.

I was in Bowling Green for the Corvette Action Center CruiseFest. The plant is working extended hours, but only a 4 day week. GM is trying to avoid the overproduction that killed dealer/corporate profits for the past couple years - even at the miserable rate of sales for the past few years. I suspect they don't want to knock 10 grand off sticker AND zero percent financing anytime soon. That was the going rate for the last couple months of 2012 sales at the big Vette dealers.

Catbert, I know i've seen plenty of 2012's in dealers lots but for now it makes sense since the 2013's haven't been "officially" released yet. I can't understand if this is what dealers want or what? Maybe they depend on having the Vettes to draw-in crowds that eventually end-up buying their other models, and hey if one or two of those do buy a Vette on impulse that's fine....... I've been told that all Corvette's are produced based on an order from a dealer, so that I assume the dealers are the ones that buy too many or not, maybe there is something going on that I don't understand here. But if this is true then it's not GM or the factory that is cranking out the cars.

All I know is I'm hoping some sort of incentive (cash off will do very well thank you) is announced soon on the 2013's! ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom