Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! ABS and Traction Control Lights randomly coming on at startup

Tug

Corvette
2000 Navy Blue Coupe
Hi all! I am a new owner of a beautiful 2000 C5 with 45k. The car is in excellent shape, however, I need advice on a problem that has surfaced. Recently the ABS and traction control lights have been staying on at startup accompanied by a messaging indicating I need to service the ABS system. The lights and message do not appear at every start up and are usually cleared by restarting the vehicle. Last night they came on and I drove the car for 20 minutes with the lights remaining on. I do not notice any decrease in brake performance or other problems. I pulled the codes and have no active codes listed, only history codes. One more tidbit of information: I recently replaced my brake rotors, calipers, and pads. The lights coincidently started coming on after that. Is it possible that some connector was disturbed during the brake work that might be causing these messages? I just had the cars blower motor replaced at the shop I have been taking the car too (a highly reputable establishment that also did the brake work) and they noticed the warning lights and suggested that it is likely the EBCM unit which apparently is quite expensive to replace. I would really appreciate any advice before deciding what to do. Thanks in advance!

History codes

HI there,

Please post the codes you had, history or NOT, because that will give you an idea what is wrong.

Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks for the rapid reply c4c5,

Here are all of my girls codes:

TCSC -
1243H

SMD -
B1001H

IPC -
B1542H
U1016H

LDCM -
B2208H
B2282H
B2284H
U1064H

RDCM -
B2283H
B2285H
U1064H

RFA -
U1096H
U1064H
U1016H

HI there,

C1243 indicates that the abs motor itself has either stalled or is not able to be moved.

I have seen grounds and other issues cause this condition.

Normally, if your module is bad, C1255 will set and you will have other issues.

It could be as simple as cleaning your ground sources located on both left and right front frame rails and making sure your battery terminals are clean and torqued to 11 ft lbs.

Start there and then clear the codes. Torque on the ground studs is 71 in lbs.

Very fine scotch brite and can be used to clean any oxidation.

Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,

C1243 indicates that the abs motor itself has either stalled or is not able to be moved.

I have seen grounds and other issues cause this condition.

Normally, if your module is bad, C1255 will set and you will have other issues.

It could be as simple as cleaning your ground sources located on both left and right front frame rails and making sure your battery terminals are clean and torqued to 11 ft lbs.

Start there and then clear the codes. Torque on the ground studs is 71 in lbs.

Very fine scotch brite and can be used to clean any oxidation.

Allthebest, c4c5

Thank you very much. I will try your solution! Let me say also that your work here on this site is very commendable and I really appreciate you taking your time to help me. You must love Corvettes!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom