Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ABS light is on.

1989 406

Corvette
1989 406
On my 89 the ABS light is on and I want to get it off. I was trying to avoiding taking it apart to get to the light if possible.
Is there a fuse or an easier way to get it off?

Thanks

On my 89 the ABS light is on and I want to get it off. I was trying to avoiding taking it apart to get to the light if possible.
Is there a fuse or an easier way to get it off?

Thanks

How about fixing the problem with the ABS?

just saying...

As like most, money is tight. I can live with it for now. I will worry about it down the line.

Thanks

Thing is,
that most of the time its cheap NOW and big money later.

ex: abs relay...$8
cost of waiting, possible system contamination, pump seizing, accident.

ABS wheel sensor...
I bought one last summer for $35. And mine are as rare as a free lunch.

If I remember right, your 89 is an on-board diagnostic so its not the rare type that I've got, so parts will be even cheaper.

Not trying to be critical, I've learned the hard way about puttin it off...it just gets worse.

Thing is,
that most of the time its cheap NOW and big money later.

ex: abs relay...$8
cost of waiting, possible system contamination, pump seizing, accident.

ABS wheel sensor...
I bought one last summer for $35. And mine are as rare as a free lunch.

If I remember right, your 89 is an on-board diagnostic so its not the rare type that I've got, so parts will be even cheaper.

Not trying to be critical, I've learned the hard way about puttin it off...it just gets worse.

I appreciate it. It makes sense.

I appreciate it. It makes sense.

I've also learned that many ABS lites come from a dirty wheel sensor or one thats out of alignment due to a worn out wheel/hub bearing. So, do a visual inspection of each wheel spindle and look for one thats excessively caked with crud, mud or just lots of road grime caked on. Theres a fair chance thats whats wrong, or a simple damaged wire thats right there...too easy.

I damaged a sensor when a hub became loose and the tip of the sensor was damaged. I've seen wads of grease cause the lite to come on. Its just a magnetic field thats pretty easy to disrupt and cause the lite to come on.
I just hate to see you write it off when it might be this easy to deal with.
Good luck.
When you want to look into it, I'll be more than happy to get the book out and relate the GM process for tracking down less obvious problems.

Thing is,

His abs system is the same as yours. Its a bosch abs 2 which ran from 86-89.

His abs system is the same as yours. Its a bosch abs 2 which ran from 86-89.

Well then,

I wish him LUCK !

The used stockpiles are low and the cost high. About the only thing on the shelf is the reman control module and new relays. Sensors, valves other misc "working-necessary" pieces have to come off a donor car. A few will interchange if you can find a chart that tells which....Some sensors will, but its very difficult to match them..ex: RR '89 will fit LF '86 or RF '87 vette fits RR pick-up '86-'90 etc...
Someone with some shop skills could modify a similar sensor to fit their application.

Since there is no scanner or code display for the Bosch-II ABS it has to be diagnosed by testing one piece at a time. Its no wonder that GM demanded something better from Bosch. They delivered the Bosch-IIe that did use flash codes onboard. 1990 I think. Then the abs evolved to Bosch V or later. There have been about 10 versions since 1986 and most don;t interchange parts.

No one should feel concerned about buying a used wheel sensor either...its just a magnet thats aimed in a very exact direction. No mechanical parts or moving parts. A used one is identical to a new one, except dirty.

As long as that controller/pump and valve block are taken care of, most other parts can be dealt with. The biggest demon to the controller/valve block is water leaking into the storage box.

Just drive it!

I admit it's true, you really should fix your ABS if you can afford to, but mine has never worked, and I doubt it ever will, but I really don't care! I don't consider it a necessity, Just take it easy and don't follow too close,which you shouldn't be anyway and you may want to change your bake bias spring , cost is about twenty bucks from one of the Corvette resto places like Corvette Central,this part replaces the one in your master cyl. and will improve you front to rear braking balance! and I already know how popular this response is going to be to the techies on this site but I really don't care! Anyway good luck and enjoy your Vette!:cool!:

There are two fuse's that control the ABS One is the 10 amp marked Anti Lock Brakes and the other one that is involved is for the ECM, ABS, Selective Ride circuit. On my 93 when I got that light I found one of the two fuses was blown but the car still ran. I hope it is as simple as that.

I admit it's true, you really should fix your ABS if you can afford to, but mine has never worked, and I doubt it ever will, but I really don't care! I don't consider it a necessity, Just take it easy and don't follow too close,which you shouldn't be anyway and you may want to change your bake bias spring , cost is about twenty bucks from one of the Corvette resto places like Corvette Central,this part replaces the one in your master cyl. and will improve you front to rear braking balance! and I already know how popular this response is going to be to the techies on this site but I really don't care! Anyway good luck and enjoy your Vette!:cool!:

If you are taking it "easy" and not following 'too close" why in the heck did you spend the money for an aftermarket bias spring. They're only needed on cars which are driven at the limit on a regular basis?

(snip)
Since there is no scanner or code display for the Bosch-II ABS it has to be diagnosed by testing one piece at a time. Its no wonder that GM demanded something better from Bosch. They delivered the Bosch-IIe that did use flash codes onboard. 1990 I think. Then the abs evolved to Bosch V or later. There have been about 10 versions since 1986 and most don;t interchange parts.
(snip)

ABS "IIe" was never used on C4.

There are only three versions of Bosch ABS used on C4
II (86-89)
IIS (90-94 base, 90-95 ZR-1)
V (95/96 base)

The controllers and the modulator valves do not interchange. Some other parts do but some of those parts may only be "partially-interchangeable" across the whole C4 series.

For more information on C4 ABS see this article here on the CAC:
Corvette Action Center | Tech | Stop to Match the Go - All About C4 Antilock Brakes and Traction Control

ABS "IIe" was never used on C4.

There are only three versions of Bosch ABS used on C4
II (86-89)
IIS (90-94 base, 90-95 ZR-1)
V (95/96 base)

The controllers and the modulator valves do not interchange. Some other parts do but some of those parts may only be "partially-interchangeable" across the whole C4 series.

For more information on C4 ABS see this article here on the CAC:
Corvette Action Center | Tech | Stop to Match the Go - All About C4 Antilock Brakes and Traction Control

HIB,
any thoughts on my actuator question n :hijacktech-side of C4 forum?

You;re my best hope on this one...

just testing

Just wanted to see how long it would take you to freak-out and start an argument:chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom