Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ABS/TRACTION CONTROL Comes on periodity

hoosierdaddy

Corvette
2000 Black Coupe; W/6-Speed
I get the "SERVICE ABS/TRACTION CONTROL" message ;help on my DIC once in a while then I won't get it for a long time. The brakes are fine, and the traction control too I think. ;help Any idea what this could be? Like I said I will get the message and then quite a while will pass and I get it again but nothing seems to be wrong ;shrug Any assistance on this would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks, and have a great week-end with many more to come.:beer
Bill :w

When I read your tag line, the quote from Lincoln didnt look right, (what can I tell ya, I had the address memorized , went to catholic school, probably did something stupid, and had to write it twenty times :p) btw, your's is correct (guess I'm getting old.

Re: the sporadic Service Active Handling/Traction Control message, it's pretty common. Pull the codes from the DIC diagnostic to better track down what is causing it.

Frequently, its a bad ground (you could start with the two easily accessible ground connections on the frame (under the hood, by the hood support, separate the black plug bolted to the frame, clean, apply di-electric grease and put back).

Also, the component they (GM) uses in the TCBM (pretty sure thats what it's called, traction control braking module, its mounted on the left side by the fan between the radiator and the engine, big silver box with brake lines going into it) frequently fails.

I had mine replaced, didnt cost me anything due to the problem starting the day I picked up the car but many people have paid like a thousand to have the dealership replace it. Dont get nutz yet :)

A) you dont know if that is in fact the problem in your car and B) if it is, people have expressed satisfaction sending the unit in their car (yup, you can pull it out and stil use the car) to a guy, think the site is ABSFixer (google it) and he rebuilds them for a fraction (possibly like $145) of the cost with components that they say wont blow like the original equipment (and they offer a lifetime guarantee :).

But, you're not there yet :)

Look for the sticky on how to pull the diagnostic codes and post them.
I'm sure some nice mechanicly savy person (I'm a retired emergency manager, so that would not be me :) ) will chime in with a more specific answer.

You could also do a search on "code 1214 (or whatever code you get)" or "service active handling", there's a lotta info out there.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1682562

That thread is the last good one I came across.

Good luck

When I read your tag line, the quote from Lincoln didnt look right, (what can I tell ya, I had the address memorized , went to catholic school, probably did something stupid, and had to write it twenty times :p) btw, your's is correct (guess I'm getting old.

Re: the sporadic Service Active Handling/Traction Control message, it's pretty common. Pull the codes from the DIC diagnostic to better track down what is causing it.

Thanks for the info and response back. The quote by "Ole Abe Lincoln" is absolutely one of my favorite and speaks volumes for sure.

Take care, and have a great "Memorial Day" week-end, health & happiness to you and yours.

Bill

I get the "SERVICE ABS/TRACTION CONTROL" message ;help on my DIC once in a while then I won't get it for a long time. The brakes are fine, and the traction control too I think. ;help Any idea what this could be? Like I said I will get the message and then quite a while will pass and I get it again but nothing seems to be wrong ;shrug Any assistance on this would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks, and have a great week-end with many more to come.:beer
Well mine took a Dump about 3 days after reading this Thread!!!! It came on once and then a couple days later it came on for good!! Code C1214 I sent it to Brandon at www.absfixer.com Tuesday after checking out all the grounds and connections,it should be back tomorrow!!I'd think it should at least last as long as a set of brake pads!! Thanks for the Vibes,Hoserdaddy!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie:upthumbs

You da Man Junk. . . . . :upthumbs So did you get yours back yet and if so what was the problem :confused

You da Man Junk. . . . . :upthumbs So did you get yours back yet and if so what was the problem :confused

I don't know what I was thinking!!! I sent out the EBCM Wednesday the 20th at 4:35 PM FedEx and got a e-mail with a Tracking # this afternoon at 3:30 pm saying it is scheduled for delivery here in the morning the 22nd!!:cool I don't know for sure what was wrong with it but I just had to take it apart to look at it!!! I seen about 10 Cold solder joints with my naked eye in the circuit board!!! But it is my understanding that there has been allot of trouble with them in many GM vehicles!!For S&G I called my Chevrolet parts man and he said that they have replaced several under warranty,some vehicles more than 1 and my cost was almost $600 for the module!! I've been reading that the coils in the solenoids are weak Junk!! And this guy in Missouri updates them with better components and guarantees them for as long as you own the car for about $160. So I went that rout,I really don't plan on selling the car I just got it paid for!!:cool According to my trusty Snap-On it had a open solenoid circuit, and I probly could have fixed it myself but I wanted the up dated components in it!! It takes about 20 minuet's to remove and you can still drive the car!! You don't have to brake down any brake lines just 6 screws and two wiring plugs!! there is about 12 small solenoid coils that have a tenancy to burn out,so I opted for the updated ones!! So 1 may have been bad or it could have been a cold solder joint!!;shrug;shrugBut at any rate I'll have it back on by noon!!:lou:louPS be sure to check All grounds first, about 10% of the time that will fix it!!! But it didn't work for me!!:upthumbs

I've been reading that the coils in the solenoids are weak Junk!! And this guy in Missouri updates them with better components and guarantees them for as long as you own the car for about $160. So I went that rout,I really don't plan on selling the car I just got it paid for!!:cool According to my trusty Snap-On it had a open solenoid circuit, and I probly could have fixed it myself but I wanted the up dated components in it!! It takes about 20 minuet's to remove and you can still drive the car!! You don't have to brake down any brake lines just 6 screws and two wiring plugs!! there is about 12 small solenoid coils that have a tenancy to burn out,so I opted for the updated ones!! So 1 may have been bad or it could have been a cold solder joint!!;shrug;shrugBut at any rate I'll have it back on by
noon!!:lou:louPS be sure to check All grounds first, about 10% of the time that will fix it!!! But it didn't work for me!!:upthumbs

Thanks my Man, good info for sure; if I have anymore issues I may be back with you. Sounds as if you know your way around pretty good to me :upthumbs

Bill:w

Thanks my Man, good info for sure; if I have anymore issues I may be back with you. Sounds as if you know your way around pretty good to me :upthumbs

Bill:w
She be
OK
Now!!

:upthumbs :D:D:D

She be
OK
Now!!

:upthumbs :D:D:D

That is good to hear. Should I consider doing this or not?

I sent out the EBCM Wednesday the 20th at 4:35 PM FedEx and got a e-mail with a Tracking # this afternoon at 3:30 pm saying it is scheduled for delivery here in the morning the 22nd!!:cool I don't know for sure what was wrong with it but I just had to take it apart to look at it!!! I seen about 10 Cold solder joints with my naked eye in the circuit board!!! But it is my understanding that there has been allot of trouble with them in many GM vehicles!!For S&G I called my Chevrolet parts man and he said that they have replaced several under warranty,some vehicles more than 1 and my cost was almost $600 for the module!!

That is good to hear. Should I consider doing this or not?

I guess that depends if it starts acting up!!Have you checked all the grounds? If so has it done it again??I never had a problem till I drove mine to my daughters new house in Charlotte!!The first time I drove it there and shut it off and went to leave the T/C and ABS lights came on and about 3 blocks later it went off. And a week later Jo and I drove down there and it did the same thing,but this time it didn't go off till I stopped at the rest area and went to the john.And when I started it, it went Off and all was well,I thought it may have been something with the High Tension Power Lines behind there house or the Microwave towers not far from there, till about 3 days later it came on in my driveway and stayed on. So I put it on Snappy and it said it had a open circuit in the EBCM, so I checked all the grounds and connections and then I started having trouble with the battery and I put a new one in and all was well for about a Block and the lights came on again.So I said to myself, "SELF":D Fock It :chuckle:chuckleand sent the damn thing Off!! It was back here in less than 48 hr and I've took it out on the Twist-es and Tourneys for about a hour today and ALL IS WELL!!:upthumbs

Hey Junk!
Any chance you could take some pictures of that critter so we know where to look?

Junk,

Mine just does it ever now and then, :confused I have pulled over when I got the chance and shut it off, took a pee then went back started her up and it was off and stay off. But every now and then it will go through this again :werd:The ECM is under the carpet on the passenger side right? I have not checked the grounds either, got to get the chart out that shows me where these are all at and do that. But keep in mind :eek:hnoes I have got all the notices and etc. on the column lock and never done anything with that either. Just hear too many horror stories about this and in some cases some had no problem with the CL until they had the recall done.

Glad to hear your baby is pick'n them up and putting them down again :lou

Thanks,

Junk,

Mine just does it ever now and then, :confused I have pulled over when I got the chance and shut it off, took a pee then went back started her up and it was off and stay off. But every now and then it will go through this again :werd:The ECM is under the carpet on the passenger side right? I have not checked the grounds either, got to get the chart out that shows me where these are all at and do that. But keep in mind :eek:hnoes I have got all the notices and etc. on the column lock and never done anything with that either. Just hear too many horror stories about this and in some cases some had no problem with the CL until they had the recall done.

Glad to hear your baby is pick'n them up and putting them down again :lou

Thanks,
Actually the ECM is attached to the frame with about 3 other moguls behind the rt front wheel behind a panel that comes out of the wheel well under and behind the battery right below the the panel your thinking of inside the car!!!These damn things have too many Moguls!!! The EBCM is attached to the ABS/BPMV it is behind the radiator in front of the engine attached with 6 screws!! It looks like this CLICK!! :D It's too early on a Saturday to take photos,so I stoled some!!!:rotfl Besides I'm running low on attachment space!!:upthumbs

PS you can get it outa there easy by removeing the Air Bridge!!

The grounds that you need to check are on the top of the frame next to the Lt and Rt hood hinges and 1 right below the battery on the frame top next to the engine!!(you'll have to remove the battery heat shield to clean it good):upthumbs

Junk once again you have out done yourself :bowroflOutstanding description and pictures to boot. I must say :_rock once again you da Man! Got to go to the city this afternoon but tonight or first thing in the morning I will check this out; I copied the pictures for future reference.

Have a great week-end and take care,

Junk once again you have out done yourself :bowroflOutstanding description and pictures to boot. I must say :_rock once again you da Man! Got to go to the city this afternoon but tonight or first thing in the morning I will check this out; I copied the pictures for future reference.

Have a great week-end and take care,
Bill there is allot of Good Info here,if you sift through it!!
CLICK!!

:upthumbs :Steer:lou:bu:bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom