Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC Compressor on 1989 L98

VetteFreak101

Corvette
1961 Corvette, 1989 Corvette
Okay so here is my dilemma. I sent my original AC compressor out to be rebuilt. Should've been an easy transaction. THEY LOST IT :mad! So now they will replace it, but I have to find one first. I bought an original one that fit a 1989. However, the connector from the fan clutch to the wiring harness is different. Then I had to buy the AC manifold as well. I'm just fed up with this project its been too much back and forth and too much bullcrap for something that should've been simple. Can anyone please help. Where can I get the right compressor with the right connector so I can get the system recharged and enjoy the car? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The connector is a square one not the oval kind. Picture attached.
l98.jpg

Last edited:
AC Compressor on 89 L98

My 87 compressor finally gave it up. Went on line to AC Delco to find local (Memphis, TN) ACD distributor. Bought complete new unit that bolted right up. Skip the imitations. The ACD distributor (a Parts Plus outlet) cut me a break and I paid less than $250 for a new GM part complete with clutch etc. If you are converting to R134 at this time you need to also get a new dryer cannister - which if the compressor went bad you may have to replace anyway. The R134 conversion also created overheating problems that necessitated a new alum. double row radiator that fixed that. Good luck.

My 87 compressor finally gave it up. Went on line to AC Delco to find local (Memphis, TN) ACD distributor. Bought complete new unit that bolted right up. Skip the imitations. The ACD distributor (a Parts Plus outlet) cut me a break and I paid less than $250 for a new GM part complete with clutch etc. If you are converting to R134 at this time you need to also get a new dryer cannister - which if the compressor went bad you may have to replace anyway. The R134 conversion also created overheating problems that necessitated a new alum. double row radiator that fixed that. Good luck.
Had no a/c working on my 91 when I got it and went to a local radiator shop that was A/C delco outet. They set me up with nos compressor and dryer. Also changed out the orifice tube to a severe service one pumped it down and charged it up nice air. Good enough for a florida top down trip in august. The compressors on the vettes are common to some 4500 -5500 trucks as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom