Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC Delco chip for changing OD shifting???

I

IndyPaceCar78

I just bought a Calibrati chip (AC Delco) to change the speed that my '87 shifts into overdrive. Has anyone installed this chip, and what were the results?

I was told that it would raise the speed at which the car shifts into OD. My '87 generally shifts into OD anywhere from 41-45 mph depending on the rpms. This seems pretty low to me...

Does anyone know the process of installing it? I'm told its pretty much "plug and play"... Is it labor intensive, and since I've never done this, I'm told the control module is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side floorboard area? I was also told my '87 has a performance chip, and wasn't sure if this would work in conjunction with it, IOF there is one installed....

As always, any insight is greatly appreciated!

Indy

You can only use 1 chip. Your old performance chip will come out and your new cal****iti chip will go in. I dont think you will notice much performamce difference unless you car is highly modified. Disconect the battery negative terminal. Remove the under dash cover on the passenger side. The ECM is right behind the bread box. There are 2 bolts that hold the ecm in place. Remove them and work the ECM down to the floor. Remove the small metal cover on the back of the ecm. You will see the chip inside there. Spread apart the hold down clips on the sides of the chip and pull the chip out. Just slide the new one in and make sure it is seated all the way home. Reverse the steps and your done. The hardest part is laying on you back under the dash.

Thank you for the heads up Paul!

have you done this to your car? If so, did it improve the shifting into OD at such a low speed?

Thanks again!

I have a stick, no experience with automatics. I had to replace my ECM last summer. It is really pretty easy to do.

It doesn't sound too terribly tough, so I'll probably tackle it this w'end. (Other than lying on my back in the floorboard that is!)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom