Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC on = very rough idle

JohnnyC

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe - LT4
I have a 96 LT4. Now that it is getting hotter in NJ, i tried to use the fan/AC. The vette started to shake and rumble way above normal. I have a slightly rough idle as it is, but as soon as the air or AC are turned on its crazy. Any ideas where to start would be helpful.

Thanks.
John

Start by removing the fan belt and spinning the air compressor pulley to see if it spins freely. If it is rough or it may even lock up that would explain the shakes and rough idle.

I looked at this today. The pulley is pretty rough to spin. It moves, but does not spin freely like the alternator. Is there a way to loosen this or can be easily replaced?

I looked at this today. The pulley is pretty rough to spin. It moves, but does not spin freely like the alternator. Is there a way to loosen this or can be easily replaced?

I think you have isolated the problem. I would guess if you look at the belt you will see were it has been burnishied from being pulled over a pully that momentarily freezes up while spinning. If as you say the pulley spins with a roughness. I would bet the bearings are going bad and that when the ac trys to engage the compressor by hooking up the compressor pulley it is locking up.

I forgot to mention that when you have the belt off start the car and see if if idles smoothly. If so you diffently have isolated the problem area.

I think you need a specific puller tool to get the clutch assy. off and back on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom