Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC performance

Will installing a double electric controlled radiator help AC performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you are referring to dual electric fan motors and not a radiator?

They can, but only if there is something wrong with your OEM fans.

It could at slow speeds and low RPM's. I used to keep a thermometer in the vent on my 77. When air stopped moving over the condenser the temperature coming out of the vent would increase. At sustained speeds with the air moving over the coils the temperature on a converted R-134 unit would be in the high 30's. In stop and go traffic the number got much higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could at slow speeds and low RPM's. I used to keep a thermometer in the vent on my 77. When air stopped moving over the condenser the temperature coming out of the vent would increase. At sustained speeds with the air moving over the coils the temperature on a converted R-134 unit would be in the high 30's. In stop and go traffic the number got much higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wasn't a '77 a manual clutch type fan and not electric? If so, then a electric fan motor could help a little at idle, especially if the clutch coupler was weak. I was assuming that the OP already had electric radiator and condenser fans on his vehicle (but maybe not), and if the OEM electric fans work good then the cooling would be the same.

Wasn't a '77 a manual clutch type fan and not electric? If so, then a electric fan motor could help a little at idle, especially if the clutch coupler was weak. I was assuming that the OP already had electric radiator and condenser fans on his vehicle (but maybe not), and if the OEM electric fans work good then the cooling would be the same.
Still Clutch fan in '81. There is an auxiliary electric fan (but its controlled by temp not the A/C) i think the '80 had this too, but i may be wrong on that one.

Still a manual clutch with no electric aux fan in 77. If I had kept the car I would have added and or or replaced the stock fan with electrics for both the AC and engine temps. As long as it was moving the stock system cooled the car and produced adequate AC temps. On the hottest of days at freeway speeds I would get high 30 degree AC temp and middle of the gauge engine temps. Stop and go traffic was a different story. While this was an extreme situation I was leaving Turner Field after a Braves game on a 90+ degree day in stop and go traffic in the parking lot. I had to pull over and wait for traffic to clear as the engine temp and AC temp kept climbing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom