Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Accelerator cable attachemnt

cwerve

Corvette
1974, red 454, convertible
Just completed a rebuild of the quadrajet on my 74 454BB. When I went to reinstall on engine I discovered there are two holes on the arm where the accelerator cable attaches. Can some one give me a little help and suggest which hole to use? One at the end of the arm or the one closer to the throttle plates. Both seem to work and I did not capture the original location in the pictures I took. Also is there a reason there are two holes?

I am not sure which hole, but one of the holes should have some wear marks where it was originally installed.

Thanks great idea. In my case I soaked that part in metal rescue then polished it and painted. Yes a little over kill for a rebuild but I am retired and have the time. Can not detect a difference. I tried both of them and the inner most hole gives a little more opening of the secondary's (full 90 degrees) vs 80 degrees on the outer most hole. Also the inner hole seems to be a little quicker on the opening of the primaries. Since this will be used mostly for parades and such the outer hole might be better. I found this picture on one of the rebuild web sites and it has the stud mounted on the outer hole(see attached). Unless someone else has some tribal knowledge I might go with the outer hole. But I am somewhat guessing at this point.

Attachments

• throttle linkage1.jpg
    throttle linkage1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 75
I like your logic. The picture is correct. I went to the assembly manual and it showed the same location. :beer

This may help: forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/2823853-vapor-canister-for-a-71-a.html

I came across this while looking for help to fix my vapor canister. The thread shows in detail how to the carb and linkages on a 71 should be set. Make sure you look at the reference pics about 3/4 through the thread. Good luck.

Thanks jw15870. I appreciate the help. The answer that referenced the assembly manual worked out the best. I pulled out the book and yes it shows where it belongs. Seems the 1974 was different. I will attach a picture of the finished product. Note the red and blue springs overlap. Some of the air injection is also missing.

Attachments

• finished carb rebuild1.jpg
    finished carb rebuild1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 72
Love those Big Blocks. That's a lot of motor stuffed in there! Good luck with the rest of the build.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom