Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Accelerator Pedal

Jeb

Corvette
1987 Convertable
I've got an 87 Vert and I'd like to smooth up the accelerator pedal. There's nothing wrong with the way it works but it's sort of jerky when first squeezed down. I try to be as smooth as possible when starting from a dead stop and it's very hard to do this when the pedal isn't smooth. Anyone have any tips on how to smooth the action?

Check to see if anything is rubbing or binding the throttle cable....I found my air cleaner was rubbing on my throttle linkage when I first got my 'vette and it was the first thing I fixed on it :thumb

yes, as stated above I'd get under the hood and look to see if anything is binding the cable. Next, clean the throttle body to make sure the butterfly is not sticking inside. Lube the cable with a shot of some kind of spray lube. Sometimes the inner sleeve on the cable can break and cause sticking. You can d/c the cable and see how well it slides in/out without the throttle body connected..that will tell you for sure where the problem is..

I have this problem with my 90. The only thing I can find to cause it is worn throttle body shaft bore.
Seems as though the plates bind a little . You can check this with the engine not running , on mine
the shaft has some forward and back play.
I had the pedal out and checked but all seemed well , also installed a new throttle cable , didn't
help either.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I lubed the core of the cable a tad and it is much smoother now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom