Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Accessory Belt Condition

yellow_2002_germany

Corvette
2006 Velocity Yellow
I replaced my power steering accessory belt tensioner today due to squeaking (one of the easiest repairs I have ever made-it literally took 10 minutes). At the same time I replaced the belt as cheap insurance. Afterwards I took a look at the belt I took off of my car. I could not believe how good of shape it was in after 46,000 miles! It didn't have any cracks, glazing or dry rot or any other indicators of being worn.

How long are these belts supposed to be good for?

Given the shape the belt I took off, I imagine it could have lasted thousands of miles more. However $26 is cheap insurance in my mind.

In my experience around 50,000 miles, give or take. Normally they get glazed before cracking...

My squeeking sounded like metal to metal.

On the advice of this website I just replaced the belt first to see if that would do it, even though I was sure that was a bad alternator, water pump bearing or something- it really sounded like metal to metal. This is at less than 25,000 miles. I went to the Zone and got a Goodyear gatorback belt and poppped it on. Not a squeek since, and I've got 38,000 on her now.

Here is a GM Service Bulletin, which explains why your belt looked so good.

Information on Serpentine Belt Wear #04-06-01-013 - (Apr 29, 2004)
Information on Serpentine Belt Wear
2004 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks
2003-2004 and Prior HUMMER H2
All current GM vehicles designed and manufactured in North America were assembled with serpentine belts that are made with an EPDM material and should last the life of the vehicle. It is extremely rare to observe any cracks in EPDM belts and it is not expected that they will require maintenance before 10 years or 240,000 km (150,000 mi) of use.
Older style belts, which were manufactured with a chloroprene compound, may exhibit cracks depending on age. However, the onset of cracking typically signals that the belt is only about halfway through its usable life.
A good rule of thumb for chloroprene-based belts is that if cracks are observed 3 mm (1/8 in) apart, ALL AROUND THE BELT, the belt may be reaching the end of its serviceable life and should be considered a candidate for changing. Small cracks spaced at greater intervals should not be considered as indicative that the belt needs changing.
Any belt that exhibits chunking should be replaced.

I do realize it says "and prior" but....how prior? 2001's have the indestructable belts?
(that is pretty amazing, 10 years on a belt....what will they think of next? :) )

I do realize it says "and prior" but....how prior? 2001's have the indestructable belts?
(that is pretty amazing, 10 years on a belt....what will they think of next? :)

How about minimal scheduled maintenance, lifetime fluids, and lifetime fuel filters on '04's on up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom