Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Active handling

Jersey-vinny

Corvette
1988 blue Coupe, 1999 red coupe
Active handling saved my bacon today. Took out the '99 coupe for a ride this morning. It was foggy and the road was wet. I was a little "injudicious" and came into a tight downhill right hander a little too fast considering the wet surface. Had I spun, I would have been collected by several cars going in the other direction. Instead there was a little sort of shudder from the rear wheels and the car never wavered from the line on which I had set it. WHEW. I'll be more careful next time - I promise.
VINNY

I've heard a lot of great things about the AH system on the C5s.

Wow. That could have been bad.

I'm glad you had it turned on .
It has straightened me out a time or two as well.

Tammy

To tell the embarrasing truth, I'm new to this car and I thought I had it turned off because the dash icon wasn't lit. Luckily for me, the light off corresponds to the active control being on. Better to be lucky than smart. I'd better spend more time with the manual.
VINNY

How cool is that... nice driven Andretti. Did you beat the guy you were racing? I bet your palms were more than a little sweaty.

Wasn't racing anyone. We have a perfectly good drag strip nearby ( Englishtown) and that's where I do all my competing. It was just a matter of not taking into account how much poorer the grip was because of the damp road surface. Will not make that mistake again.

VINNY

Lights

First came across the "light's on, it's off" in a 93 Volvo 850. Must be a European thing. I always leave the AHS on, I mean off, I mean the lights off.:confused

MsSchroder said:
Wow. That could have been bad.

I'm glad you had it turned on .
It has straightened me out a time or two as well.

Tammy
is there a way to turn off the active handeling system and not see it keep saying it is off? :crazy

Jersey-vinny said:
Active handling saved my bacon today. Took out the '99 coupe for a ride this morning. It was foggy and the road was wet. I was a little "injudicious" and came into a tight downhill right hander a little too fast considering the wet surface. Had I spun, I would have been collected by several cars going in the other direction. Instead there was a little sort of shudder from the rear wheels and the car never wavered from the line on which I had set it. WHEW. I'll be more careful next time - I promise.
VINNY

God bless the techno geeks at GM. I love that AH! I would only turn it off if I wanted to scrape a few 10ths off my lap times at the track other than that you'd be crazy to turn it off. When a C5 looses its line you know it's going way too fast.

Frank (bluecoupe)

Jersey-vinny said:
Wasn't racing anyone. We have a perfectly good drag strip nearby ( Englishtown) ... VINNY

Vinny,
Englishtown!!!!! Had a great time at the Corvette day they had last summer. Maybe we can get a CACs group together this year. It is nice to be able to enjoy the place when it is not packed to the hilt like when they have the national drags there.

Frank (bouecoupe)

The first time mine kicked in I was headed for the northern Calif. coast (Ft. Bragg), at night, in the rain, going 30-40 around 20 mph corners, in the Redwoods, and I hit a section with lots of pine needles. Boy are they slick and the AH saved my A$$ but it could not help the Toyota that ran straight off the road behind me.:beer

My AH on my '04 A4 coupe never kicked in until I started making performance mods, now if the car isn't arrow straight when I floor it to pass, the rear end will start to spin out and the AH will kick in. This is usually when I'm doing about 50-55 and its on clean dry asphault and concrete surfaces. The first time was a bit of a shocker because I didn't know what it was and it felt as though I had blown the engine and hit a stump at the same time; now its no big deal.

I also have AH on my 2005 Z-71 Tahoe.

It snowed pretty heavily in NY yesterday and, since I just got my '00 C5 coupe and I'm trying to debug everything while I'm on the 3m/3k warranty, I decided to run it up my hill in the snow. I was suprisingly impressed. The AHRS pulled me right up the hill through the snow and slush with narry a problem. I tried hard braking and the ABS seemed fine too. But mostly, I now feel that if confronted with snow I'm not SOL.

ASR in my C4 saved my life in a corner maneuver. Purists argue against it but they have never looked the Grim Reaper in the face and been spared by a computer chip.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom