Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adapting PFI computer

B

Black72

It's been 14 mo.s (don't ask) but my car now has a new nose, side vents, L88 hood and all the other bad spots in the rear body glassed over - it's going to look really nice.
Today, I'm going to help take it to the paint shop - in 3 wks it goes over to my vette shop for install. of the Fastburn 385 crate
eng.
My question concerns adding fuel-inj. (in a yr or so) - the new Ram Jet 350 PFI unit will bolt on, but GMPP says the computer is not calibrated to any other cam therefore it will not regulate the air/fuel mixture properly on the 385 (and that's all they said - they're great for short answers).
Does anyone have experience or tips on re-cal.g or using a dif.
computer?
thanks, Mark:W:
PS
It's been so long, I actually slept w/my new Holley 750 in my bedroom (it was on the floor, not the bed)!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I have had considerable experience with adapting fuel injection to different types of cars.

G.M. is correct and you should not attempt to run the Ram Jet computer on a modified engine. The good and bad of the ram jet is that it comes with a tiny pre-calibrated sealed computer unit that is small and easy to mount. The bad part is that it is limited to the original engine specifications. I feel like for the price of the complete crate ram jet, a qualified Do-it-yourselfer can assemble a stroked small block with aftermarket components and make much more hsp.

For your application you should consider running a complete stand alone unit that can be calibrated. Edelbrock has an awesome port fuel injection system for a small block that comes complete for around $2k. It will also fit under your hood without modifications. Other units are available from Holley, Accel, TPiS and others.

Other options you have include using a stock fuel injection system on your motor with an aftermarket harness from painless or street and performance with a recalibrated or chipped factory computer unit. However, you won't get the air and fuel flow out of a stock unit to feed your beast.

Good luck.

Chris

B

Black72

Aftermarket PFI

Chris,
Thanks for the information - I'm printing it out right now!
Maybe I could e-m you next year when I'm ready to add
PFI to my engine? Take it easy, Mark :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom