Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

add xm radio

L

lyle nelson

Has anyone added after-market XM to a C5? If you use the FM modulator type, where did they install the bracket and antennae? Happy with it?

thanks

I bought the MyFi and its wireless! I used the vent clip. Sometimes I have to use the little suction cup antenna but the reception is pretty good!;) :beer

hey, I'm in okc as well, what/ where did you get "myfi", I already have the Delphi set up, in my truck, and thought about adding the same car kit in the 'vette so I can move the unit from car, truck, home, etc.
r

I got the SkyFi II for christmas. I put the antenna on the metal hinge structure of the trunk. Reception and sound quality are below par, so it looks like I'll have to move the antenna and go with a direct connection instead of the FM modulator.

I had the Mini antenna put on mine. I have a yellow conv. That little black antenna is on the driver side on the truck lid.... It kind of bothered me for a while.. But now I don't pay any attention to it. The reception is great!

lyle nelson said:
hey, I'm in okc as well, what/ where did you get "myfi", I already have the Delphi set up, in my truck, and thought about adding the same car kit in the 'vette so I can move the unit from car, truck, home, etc.
r
Got the MyFi at Circuit City!:w

xm radio

I installed the xm radio approx 2 yrs ago. I placed the antenna in the rear bumper behind the tail light. Reception is a good as my 2003 chevy pkup with factory antenna. I also disconected my cd changer and installed it directly into the radio using the cd player cable. works Great. Good Sound!

Dennis

Well, I moved the Antenna - found a spot right between the trunk and deck lid that it would stick to. Reception is much improved, but the sound quality thru the FM modulator still sucks. I may not be able to do anything as I have an aftermarket head unit that has no other inputs except for a CD changer.

thanks, I'm still struggling with location for the "roadie" unit.

r

XM SkyFi in C5/iPod with FM transmitter

Does the factory Bose system have an auxiliary input so you don't have to use the FM modulator? I have the original SkyFi and use it at home and direct connect to a Bose Wave music system and it sounds great.

I also have an iPod and use the Griffen iTrip FM transmitter to play through my C5 Bose system. I clip the iPod with the transmitter to the passenger sun visor, near the FM antenna on my 2001 coupe. It works OK most of the time, but I'd prefer a direct connect if the Bose would accomodate one.

dfontanese,
These guys make hanesses to OEM radios that allow you to use the CD changer port as an AUX input. If anyone has what you're looking for, it would be them.

WWW.peripheralelectronics.com

BTW: Excellent color choice on the coupe!

AZMIKE,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I went out to their site and they have a Master Application Guide for 2004 which allows you to look up your vehicle and determine if they have an application to do what you want to do. It seems pretty complete, with multiple columns for various applications. Alas, there is an NA under the column for 97-04 Vettes with BOSE for adding an audio input. I also went out to www.logjamelectronics.com who have similar products, and contacted their tech support about a Corvette application and was told they don't have an application that will work either (even though their product descriptions seem to indicate otherwise).

I wish I had the Yellow convertible instead of the coupe, maybe an 06.......

AZMike said:
dfontanese,
These guys make hanesses to OEM radios that allow you to use the CD changer port as an AUX input. If anyone has what you're looking for, it would be them.

WWW.peripheralelectronics.com

BTW: Excellent color choice on the coupe!

Bummer - I'm having the same issue with my aftermarket Eclipse head unit too. No one makes any adapters for it. I guess I'm doomed to listen thru the FM modulator. I guess I'll just have to keep the speed high enough so the wind noise drowns out the static!

:Steer

Check this...

AZMike said:
Bummer - I'm having the same issue with my aftermarket Eclipse head unit too. No one makes any adapters for it. I guess I'm doomed to listen thru the FM modulator. I guess I'll just have to keep the speed high enough so the wind noise drowns out the static!

Make sure your FM radio station is tuned to the proper frequency. Some of these FM transmitters offer as many as 5 frequencies, and being at 89.1 instead of 89.3 (for example) would give you a noisy reception. Move through all of the low FM frequencies on the dash radio to check.

Should be any static, I ran my XM unit through the FM modulator on my '01 Camaro SS and it sounded great - just like a CD, I was impressed. I've got an adaptor on order to hook it up directly on the Z06 though - that way I when I start the car I won't have to listen to static for a second until the XM modulator kicks in.

AZMike said:
I'll just have to keep the speed high enough so the wind noise drowns out the static!

KD4WCL said:
Make sure your FM radio station is tuned to the proper frequency. Some of these FM transmitters offer as many as 5 frequencies, and being at 89.1 instead of 89.3 (for example) would give you a noisy reception. Move through all of the low FM frequencies on the dash radio to check.

The main problem here is that the FM modulator broadcasts on the very high or very low FM frequencies on the dial. In phoneix, the lower frequencies around 88.1 are occupied by a Mexican Polka music station, and the high ones around 107 are occupied by a country station. The low seems to work slightly better. Sound quality does improve a little when I take the back way home through the mountains. But then again, that's when I have all that wind noise :Steer

Buy a converter to change the 10 pin cd changer input into rca jacks!

Type in GM10-aux into your search engine. no more fm modulator. much better sound.

Does the factory Bose system have an auxiliary input so you don't have to use the FM modulator

yes, but you need an aftermarket gizmo to use it. Look at the P.I.E GM-10AUX (or it may be the GM10-AUX or GMAUX-10). I am using it on my C5 stock head unit - feeding a MP3 player through.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom